Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

How many miles to reset codes?

NiteRanger0
06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I have a '97 Lumina that failed Stated Inspection because the Check Engine light was on (Cam Timing Sensor was bad). How many miles do I need to drive the car so that the computer will totally reset it's codes?

Thanks!

maxwedge
06-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I have a '97 Lumina that failed Stated Inspection because the Check Engine light was on (Cam Timing Sensor was bad). How many miles do I need to drive the car so that the computer will totally reset it's codes?

Thanks!
Drive cycle requires a cold start , drive a t 55 mph for a few minutes, idle for a few minutes, slow down from 55 without braking, between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel also. The inspection station can print out a generic drive cycle for you that is more detailed.

tblake
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
just un hook the negative battery cable. the car will run a little different afterwards while it learns its new parameters, but it should get rid of the light.

NiteRanger0
06-13-2006, 10:26 AM
OK, I didn't really get the answer I was looking for. :frown: Just as an FYI for others with this same problem, I took the car back to the Inspection Station after driving it for 100 miles and it passed inspection so the magic number is 100 miles or less.

p.s. The mechanic had already cleared the "Bad Cam Timing" code, I was just wondering how long I needed to drive the car before the car went through all it's self tests and realized everything was OK.

tblake
06-13-2006, 10:39 AM
that would be a single complete drive cycle as stated by maxwedge

radioman2002
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
New York has the same crap, not that it was anything to do with anything except to generate more money for the state. My inspection station guy says, it's different for every car, he had a Ford that he reset and it passsed after only 10mi.
Apparently a common eroor code, same for my car, $50.00 for the sensor and 20 min for the work to change it. Well worth it not to have to deal with it the next inspection time.

Add your comment to this topic!