Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with white paint

pirata12
06-12-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi

I've started a Suzuki RGV with white rims. I've primed them with Tamiya primer. However no matter what I do I can't get the gloss white to cover the rims. The edging shows through and the rest seems to attract the white paint to the centre if you know what I'm saying. What should I do?

mickbench
06-12-2006, 05:45 AM
I know what you mean... Mostly, its down to applying the white too thick in one go. Have you tried laying it down in many mists first?

Also, if your primer is pure white, and it looks totally white, and you're happy, you can actually just clear the white primer... Primer covers better anyhow... Just an idea thats all..

pirata12
06-12-2006, 05:48 AM
I'll try that Mike. My primer is grey and when I tried the fine mists it just looked like clear coat. I guess I'm going to have to let the rims soak in brake fluid tonite and start over. I was even looking to see if Suzuki used a darker rim for any race in that season but alas!

freakray
06-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Grey primer is the wrong thing to be under white paint.

It's been covered here 1000 times, white paint is semi-translucent so you need to put down white primer under it. If you can't get white primer, use matt white as a base coat, matt white is more opaque then gloss white.

pirata12
06-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks! Sorry I didn't look elsewhere.

wouter1981
06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
yep.. white primer, or a different primer with a matt white basecoat is the way to go. Al those light colours, with yellow,... need a matt white base coat

Add your comment to this topic!