Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brakes stuck on

chadm_88
06-11-2006, 07:37 PM
My right rear brake is stuck on when I drive forward, but in reverse, its just fine. What could be the problem?

lxndr
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
The pad has probably seperated from the brake shoe causing the pad to wedge between the shoe and drum when going forward.

chadm_88
06-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Aah, thanks a lot, I'll check that in the morning...when I get a hold of a breaker bar to take that shit off. I do have to take off the big ass nut behind the bearing/hub cap to get the drum off right?

lxndr
06-12-2006, 02:40 PM
The "big ass nut" only holds the hub on the spindle, the drum will slip right off the hub (unless the brakes keep the drum from coming off). This means you won't have to remove the nut in order to get at the brakes. BTW, if you need to take the nut off, it's a 32mm socket.

chadm_88
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
what do i do if the brakes are holding it on?

lxndr
06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
There is a small oval hole in the bottom of the brake backing plate that can be reached from under the car, this is the access hole to the automatic/star adjuster. You'll need to use a flat screwdriver or brake tool to back the adjuster out so the pads are not so close to the drum. I don't remember which way to turn the adjuster (I have rear discs on my CRX), but if the drum gets harder to turn, you're going the wrong way.

Add your comment to this topic!