emergency brake

BostonKev
06-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi all, my 2001 tribute e-brake doesn't feel like it's immediately disengaging when I put the lever down. It feels like the rear brakes are still sticking for a few minutes afterward and eventually they let go. Would this have something to do with the cables needing to be lubed or the springs associated in the rear drum brakes? Thank you

AlohaBra
06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
It is the drum brakes sticking. They need disassembly and refurbishing. Do you do your own work? Lubricating the parts and rub areas are needed. Sometimes the shoes stick to the drum. Might as well as change the shoes if they need them. Could be the cables as you indicated, but you have to dissassemble the the rears anyway to check this. Take the cables out and pull them back and forth. You can lubricated and free them up this way...WD40?..or use some better silcone lubes.

You don't say where you live, but in Northern US areas, drums are susceptible to winters where water gets into the drums and causes all lubes to be washed off and rust and other problems that can cause problems. Newer Tributes have disc brakes on all four corners.

Old Mazda mechanic (before they became Fords)....best regards..

BostonKev
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
the dealer actually said the same thing you did and honestly it was as I figured too. I plan on throwing new rear brakes in pretty quickly (right after the slave is put in). I do live in the northeast so rust and salt water are a big part of our lives. I appreciate the input.

Add your comment to this topic!