Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Small Copper Rose

mike@af
06-11-2006, 04:13 PM
This weekend I've been working on forming a small rose out of copper for a special somebody. This is my first time working with copper. I made one out of steel before, but copper is just much prettier looking than the cold gray of steel.

The stem is about 3" long, the rose bud is maybe 1-1/2". Pretty small one.

http://www.pichut.org/up/IMG_1393.JPG

http://www.pichut.org/up/IMG_1394.JPG

Im trying to decide whether or not to airbrush some translucent red over it, kind of streaky not solid red.

2.2 Straight six
06-11-2006, 05:08 PM
whoa, pretty cool? could you explain how it was made please?

TheSilentChamber
06-11-2006, 06:41 PM
It was made just like a real rose.... with love and slave midgets.

mike@af
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
It was made just like a real rose.... with love and slave midgets.

Actually, Norm, you're wrong on this one. Sorry.

Chris, I cut a series of circles progressing in size. Three circles total. I also notched a curved triangle out of the circle in five places spread out equally. This was done by hand and eye so its not exact, just a like a really rose. Then I sliced down the middle of each notch to about a 1cm away from the center. So that all the petals were still attached. Then I drilled a hole through the center.

After that, I formed the shape of the petals with my hands, and some body hammers. The petals were hammer over a leather bag, as well as dolleys. Then once I liked the shape of the petals I bent them all inword, I wanted each one to over lap. Then I soldered it to a copper stem.

Its a simple project that just takes some time. I'll be making a boquet of these for her next.

Hope that helps.

TheSilentChamber
06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I think you should let them oxidize, I love green copper... takes a while though.

mike@af
06-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I think you should let them oxidize, I love green copper... takes a while though.

Actually if you let it sit in some vinegar vapors it will oxidize in a couple hours usually which is ironic since liquid vinegar cleans off the oxidation.

2.2 Straight six
06-12-2006, 01:42 AM
Chris, I cut a series of circles progressing in size...

it's true what they say, mods do have special powers.

thanks for the how-to. i might try something like this sometime. i've done some model-making and such before, but nothing like that. i think i might try something similar when i have the time. maybe with embossing metal or thin aluminium. (aluminon?)

Add your comment to this topic!