Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 honda accord check engine light code P1259

raja_babu144
06-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi
I got engine check ligt and went off after couple of weeks and then came back and went off multiple times. When I checked the code it's p1259. Also, the engine oil level was very very low. I just drove 2700 miles after engine oil change. Is it possible that engine oil is buring through engine? I didn't find any leaks.
I didn't find any oil on the ground where I park, so I am assuming there is no leak. Also, I don't see much smoke. But, I am not sure whether engine is burning oil. Is it a common problem with 2000 Accord models? What would be the solution? I drove only 40K miles on this car for the past 5 and half years.

Thanks in advance!

raja_babu144
06-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Thank you very much for your reply! I just started a new thread as per your suggestion.
To answer your questions: I didn't find any leaks. I didn't see any oild marks where I park my car. Also, I didn't notice much smoke when I start the engine. Even in the running also, I didn't see mcuh smoke. I just drove 40K miles on this car and 2700 miles from my last oil change.
Now, again I changed the oil and taking the readings carefully. I drove 450 miles since my last oil change. I think the dip stick reading should that the level gone down by 2mm. Is this common for honda accord 2000 mdel?

Thanks again!

-Raja Babu

Igovert500
06-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Ok, well if you read the other thread, which I'm assuming you did, you know that the code is indicating a vtec malfunction, however, that can be triggered by low oil levels...so I'm guessing the main problem is the oil dissappearing, but let's make sure.

Just to make sure, you are checking the oil at the same temperatures right? If the engine is hot/warm, the oil level will be higher. Also, 2mm isn't that big of a change. You said earlier that you were very very low, how low is very very low? Was it a quart or more low?

If you aren't seeing any signs of oil leaking, then it is either leaking internally, either into your combustion chambers and being burnt off, or possibly into your coolant.

You said you don't see much smoke, what does that mean? Are you seeing blueish smoke or not? Have somebody stand behind the car when you start it up, and watch for it. Also have that same person follow you around hte block, at one point accelerate hard. Ask if they saw bluish smoke while following you under normal driving and also under the hard acceleration.

Also, has your oil been coming out extra bubbly, indicating coolant mixture? Check your coolant and see if it looks contaminated with oil. Many times if it is, you will see an obvious yellowish substance.

Lastly, pop the hood and start up the car, see if you can see any oil leaking out from under and above the engine, perhaps it is leaking onto some part of the exhaust and being burnt off there.

raja_babu144
06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks again! for replying to this.

>>>You said earlier that you were very very low, how low is very very low?
>>>Was it a quart or more low?

I had to put 3 quartr of oil to bring the level to high end mark.

As I mentioned earlier I am now monitoring closely after the oil change.
Now, put 1 quarter to bring upto the high end mark after running 1000 miles.
Is it common for honda accord 2000 SE model?

I didn't see any leak. ALso, I haven't noticed any blue smoke.

Let me check the coolent and let you know.

THanks so much for replying to this!

-Raja Babu

Igovert500
06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
NO, that is not normal at all. You have a definant leak somewhere. Are you still under any warranty, because that is an issue to get fixed. This oil has got to be going somewhere.

raja_babu144
06-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks again! for your quick reply.
I don't think so my car is under warrenty. It's a 2000 model and I drove approx. 40K. I still need to check the coolent and let you know.

Thanks,
Raja Babu

Add your comment to this topic!