Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Greddy Paper Weight?

Shinji
06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Yes you read the subject correct and I am looking for advice.

I have purchased a new Greddy Bolt on kit for my 99 civic, I first bolted it on and white smoke was pouring out the exhaust during normal driving. I sent it back out to Cali and Greddy did a rebuild and sent it back.

The second time I re-installed it and again during normal driving pours white smoke out the exhaust. At this point I am about to chuck this $2200 POS in the local lake, however after another $50 S&H sent it back to Cali again and demanded a new one (Which they didn't do).

3rd time the charm I think. . . however during normal driving no smoke (Thank God) however anything over 5000 RPM Here comes a White smoke storm out of my exhaust again.

Now my Question is why? Why would I have smoke at higher RPM's?

My readings when I am above 4500 RPM are;
Oil Pressure 90psi
Boost 5 ~ 6 pounds

In the previous 2 times I have found large amounts of oil in the pipe coming from the turbo to the intake manifold (about a 24oz bottle bottle cap full).

I idled it for 10mins before even driving it and pre-lubed the turbo to make sure I wouldn't burn the seals. My car has been sitting in my garage for just about a month now and greddy is being very un-helpful. I have even gone so far as to contact Trust in Japan myself to find out what is going on.

I am about to hall my car on a truck bed out to Cali (From Michigan) and say "Here look, am I the only one imaging this smoke?"

Please anyone with suggestions or anything I can try would be great ans I am about to use this thing as a paper weight.

Schister66
06-09-2006, 08:23 AM
White smoke is coolant....blue smoke is oil

What diameter oil line are you using...you might need a restrictor

Did you check through your car before turboing it to make sure that it was healthy before stressing it with boost. This is one thing that most people forget to do.

It sucks i know, but you'll get things figured out....thank god my car hasn't given me any real problems.......yet

superbluecivicsi
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
white smoke and oil in charge pipess = blown oil seals. that turbo needs a rebuild.

you just bought that turbo brand new? from whom? you shipped it to greddy in cali or was that a shop?

Shinji
06-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I purchased it brand new from a Greddy Dealer, and it does not smell like coolant it smells like oil. Before purchasing the Turbo my car was very sound and would have no problems once so ever with overheating or anything else.

Yes it was Greddy's Shop in Cali not another just random shop.

*Update*
Spoke with the region sales manager today and he said this is very odd, so he is having me send the turbo back for free and he is sending out a brand new on inspected by his local shop. I am hoping this will fix my problems as I have been unable to drive my car for sooo long and I am hating my Chevy Pickup atm lol.

Any suggestions on things to check are still appreciated incase I run into something like this again.

Add your comment to this topic!