Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tilt steering wheel stuck

mrelmo
06-08-2006, 06:25 PM
my 2001 tilt steering wheel is stuck in the full up position does anyone have an idea how to fix it, what might be jammed or broken? thanks

bo0sheke
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
well, I own a 93 so I'm not sure if the fix will be the same. With mine the tilt would come loose, and bounce around;
Fix: get into the steering column by taking the wheel off, then get the column cover off, and find where the tilt leads too, my 93 has a pin that fits into a hole then teeth and another hole (it slid out twice) all I had to do was poke it back in, and then used some soder to keep it there. But strange enough, after connecting the battery back up, the security system won't let me start it now :disappoin But that may be a simple key remote battery change.

It would be best (if you want to DIY) to pick up a book on your grand am (I use the CHILTON book, has most of the info I need to fix things myself

Or go to your Pontiac dealer.

M330CSi
07-02-2006, 06:47 PM
I've had this one on my 97. One of the pivot pins that the tilt column pivots on had worked it's way out. On the 97, the pins are about 3/4"dia, and about 1" long steel cylinders. I had to take the plastic shell off of the steering column and tap the loose pin back in place with a small mallet. There is no mechanism other than a press fit holding the pins in place- so a month later, it popped out again. When i put it in the second time, I used a center punch to slightly flare the hole the pin fit into (when the pin was in place). Haven't had trouble with it since.

The plastic shell is held on the column by three screws (torx head, maybe?) on the underside of the column. Take these out, and the top half easily snaps off the bottom half. You may have to remove a switchgear cluster to get at the pin (easily and obviously done), but other than that it's pretty straightforward. Didn't cost a thing.

Just be careful about the airbag when messing w/ the steering column. A Haynes or Chiltons guide will tell you how to disable it (again, very easy), and reenable it when you're done.

mrelmo
07-03-2006, 08:16 AM
thanks that was it the pin had to be put back in place thom

Add your comment to this topic!