Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does anybody know how to change a 2002 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t Air Filter?

tjmcknight
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Can somebody who knows the step by step process to replace the air filter let me know? I know where the air filter is located I am just unable to open the black container that houses the air filter because of hoses and lines that run above the housing. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Roadandguitarman
06-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I have a '98 Passat with the 1.8T. I also have a copy of the "Haynes Repair Manual" for the '98 thru '01 Passat (and Audi A-4). This manual has 7 steps and 4 illustrations for replacing the air filter.
The filter box appears to be hidden; however with these instructions, it doesn't seem to be too difficult replace the filter.
You might be able to get a copy of their manual for the '02+ models at your local auto parts store, although it might cost more than the filter.
Anyway, I sure miss the other cars in the past on which this was a no-brainer job.
Good luck and let us know how it went.

guumbah
06-12-2006, 01:13 AM
If the '02 is like the '03, it's a pain.

Seems easy at first, two easy to reach clips in plain view. Then you realize that to get to the other two clips, you have to take out 3 screws (one of which is hard to reach) to remove the heat shield. You also have to unclip all the vacuum lines and such attached to the top. Then, if you're lucky, you can flex the air tube enough to barely clear the top edge of the air filter out. If not, remove the intake tube. Then, you'll be able to squeeze out the old filter with a few tugs. You'll probably want to vacuum out the airbox, since you've now dumped all the leaves and stuff previously captured on the top of the filter into the bottom of the airbox. Then, flex and bend you're new filter (god help you if it's an oiled K&N or similar) into the box, swear horribly when one of the bottom retaining clips from the lid falls into the engine compartment, retrieve it, try for 20 minutes to re-attach it how it's supposed to fit. Then, if by some miracle you've managed to seat the filter in such a way that you can actually close the top of the airbox properly .... installation is reverse of removal. Go get some bandaids for the cuts on your hand, and some ice for the bruise on your wrist.

This makes you long for the lesser pain of removing the oil filter from the top. At least there's no oil all over the frame and suspension afterwards....:banghead:

tjmcknight
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the help. I actually unattached the three of the clips and was able to squeeze the new filter in I used a STP and it seems to be working just fine. It is quite difficult to change the filter but you save a few bucks the dealership wanted to charge 75 bucks. I only paid 14 for the filter.

Add your comment to this topic!