Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlamp Replacement 99 Grand Am

aerial_22
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I am getting ready to replace both of my headlamp assemblies on my Grand Am. I have the procedure to remove and replace the headlamps, but what I need are some instructions on how to adjust the beam angle once I have replaced the headlamps.

Thanks,
Mike

xeroinfinity
06-09-2006, 10:37 AM
thier are two adjusters on each headlamp. They should be off white wiht a long screw on top of them.
The outside adjtr's tilt the lamps up and down, the inner adjtr's move them in and out(left & right).

You will need a torques bit screw driver for the adjtr's.
Find somewhere with a wall, should be dark, and flat level ground.
Position some masking tape vertically on the wall in reference to the cars center line, and the centerlines of both headlights.
Position horizontal tape lines in referance to the center of the head lamps. Is easier to do this with the car parked close to the wall, then back up to your 25ft.

This should be done with the vehicle sitting level, and not more than a half tank of fuel.

Start with your low beams, position the high intensiy area* so it is two inches below the horizontal line,
and two inches to the side of the vertical headlight line (away from oncoming traffic). Twist the adjtr's till yoiu get them where they should be.

For the high beams, the intensity zone* should be verticaly centerd. But you will need to comprimise with the high and low beams because its not always possible to get the aim exact for both high and low beams.

Turn the up-down screws clockwise to raise, CCW to lower.
And I forget which way the side to side goes, but its pretty easy to finger out.
If youre doing this on old headlamps the adjtr's might not always work.
For some reason they get stuck and wont turn, but since you said your replacing them you should hav much trouble with the adjtr's. Also if you cant get them adjusted right you'll hav to take it to the dealer(or other qualified facility) and they can adjust them properly.

And it might take several attemps to get them where you like them, with out blinding on coming traffic. Thet'll probly get you a ticket !

*intensity zone- the brightest part of the focused headlamps beam.

Good Luck Aerial 22

Add your comment to this topic!