Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

More problems...

Channing
06-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm back, with the same and another problem. I love my car, but these problems are really starting to make me think "trade-in". Once again, I drive a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT (V6 3.4), and in the past two weeks it has come down with two sicknesses. It all started with getting my trans fluid changed (at just under 58,000 miles) a few weeks back, my car started shifting extremely hard whenever I went fast. I took it back to the mechanic and he re-did the whole procedure, since these cars have no dipstick (Yeah... way to go GM) there is a lot of chance for error. After I got that fixed, it started shifting harder than normal after the car warmed up, but this time at low speeds. I took it to the dealership, because it was really starting to tick-me-off. The dealership replaced a spark plug and closed the books on that problem, thing is, it still does the same thing (I am taking it back to them on Monday. They better fix what I payed them to fix.). In addition to that, my car has decided to start making a whirling noise whenever I drive; my guess is it is the transaxle. I've rotated the tires and changed the breaks myself since the sound started, so it must be something else. If anyone has any idea about either of these problems, it would be really helpful. I would like to be able to fix it myself, if it is at all possible. Also, is there a chance that the sound was caused by the bad fluid change? Because, I can't figure this one out.

bigdaddy12003
06-10-2006, 07:28 AM
I have had the same problems in the past and what i did was change the wheel bearings and it stopped. But there could be other causes for it to be whirling.

GTP Dad
06-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Does it make the noise only when driving or does it do it when in park too? This sounds like the transmission does not have enough fluid to work properly and the front pump is whining especially if the noise happens when the car is park. If it only happens when moving it could be an issue with a wheel bearing. Have the dealer make absolutely certain that the fluid level is correct. I don't think they need to redo the procedure again, just make sure the fluid level is correct.

Add your comment to this topic!