Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought a 92 PA Ultra

bwforum
06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I purchased it from an older gentleman who always had it garaged. It is in great shape, but has 177,000 miles. The only problems that I have noticed are the ABS light is always on, and the engine at WOT seems to surge a bit, but not too bad. It does idle pretty rough after it warms up sitting in gear with the brakes on. I'll probably put some new plugs and wires in it, and clean the throttle body and run some injector cleaner through it. Anyone have any other free/cheap maintenance tips? I also wondered about the oil in the supercharger, where is the hole to check the level, and how often should it be changed? I also am thinking of new struts, but that will have to wait. What is the rated HP of this engine? (3.8 Supercharged)

That is a lot of questions, but if anyone cares to shed a little light on any of my concerns, I would really appreciate it. Oh yeah, should I be running premium? Is it called for in the manual? Thanks.

HotZ28
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
See if you can find a service record for the last time the fuel filter was changed. You may want change the filter along with the basics that you mentioned above. Also, see if you can find out if the water pump or the timing set (sprockets & chain) have been replaced. Here is a pic of the SC service port on the M60 SC. Rated HP is 205 on this one.
By the way, welcome to AF! We need some more 92 Ultra owners here.:grinyes:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/297374Image006.jpg

MWW
11-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I purchased it from an older gentleman who always had it garaged. It is in great shape, but has 177,000 miles. The only problems that I have noticed are the ABS light is always on, and the engine at WOT seems to surge a bit, but not too bad. It does idle pretty rough after it warms up sitting in gear with the brakes on. I'll probably put some new plugs and wires in it, and clean the throttle body and run some injector cleaner through it. Anyone have any other free/cheap maintenance tips? I also wondered about the oil in the supercharger, where is the hole to check the level, and how often should it be changed? I also am thinking of new struts, but that will have to wait. What is the rated HP of this engine? (3.8 Supercharged)

That is a lot of questions, but if anyone cares to shed a little light on any of my concerns, I would really appreciate it. Oh yeah, should I be running premium? Is it called for in the manual? Thanks.

The factory service manual for the 92 PAU states that the supercharger is "sealed for life and requires no service. No attempt should be made to check, add to or change the synthetic oil as parts damage may result." As for premium fuel, the standard PA can run on regular, but the supercharger requires premium. It will run OK until you step on it and the supercharger kicks in. Then the car will ping like crazy and possibly damage the engine. Good luck.

HotZ28
11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Posting in Closed or Outdated Threads (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=635164)
http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/4093/threadclosedga9.gif
:popcorn:

Add your comment to this topic!