Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mini-Me swap (D16Z6 head on my D15B7)

Cackophony
07-31-2002, 11:19 AM
I'm poor, so I can't afford a swap. I do want some more performance though, so I'm considering putting a D16Z6 head on my 92 DX (D15B7 right?). I could really use some help on what exactly I need to buy in order to do the swap. Here's a list I've compiled so far of things I need, if anyone knows of something else I need please reply. Thanks...

1. D16Z6 Head
2. D16Z6 Intake Manifold
3. D16Z6 Distributer
4. P28 ECU (and/or VTEC Controller)

What about belts, gaskets, etc...?

Than3o3
07-31-2002, 11:34 AM
ur still gonna get smoked by cars with the full d16z6 cuz ur still gonna have the torque of ur dx, if u want a d16z head, might as well get the full swap, its really cheap for the full d16z6 nowadays.

Cackophony
07-31-2002, 11:44 AM
the thing is though, I couldn't do an engine swap on my own, which means I'd have to pay someone to do it. This I can do on my own.

CustomBlackCivic96
07-31-2002, 08:37 PM
yea.. im poor too ..it sucks huH?

GSteg
08-01-2002, 11:16 AM
have you tried doing this or seen anybody do this? it will not fit on the D15 block. there would be no use if you can't fit it right?

sparq
08-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by GSteg
have you tried doing this or seen anybody do this? it will not fit on the D15 block. there would be no use if you can't fit it right? JB Weld and Duct Tape can fix anything! :finger:

Cackophony
08-02-2002, 08:06 AM
have you tried doing this or seen anybody do this? it will not fit on the D15 block. there would be no use if you can't fit it right?

What won't fit???

Whtehnda93DXSdn
08-02-2002, 11:33 AM
RSteg hate to say it but you are wrong. This swap has been done many times over. Its not as common as the LS/Vtec swap but it is done.
It's pretty much a simple botl on. you remove the D15 head and replace it w/ the D16 and wire up the Vtec solenoid.

that's pretty much it...Not sure if it was mistaken for someone trying to put a DOHC Head on a SOHC block but that's not the case and that definitly won't work.

I do hope this helps you out a bit... Also the ECU would do you good then the VAFC to better your output for more HP...:frog:

glitch23
08-02-2002, 12:37 PM
There are many threads about this swap, i know cause i did the research on it myself. Do a search and you'll find alot of info, including all the parts you need and the performance upgrades you should get afterwards. The ECU is better then the vtec controller. you'll be running at a higher compression than the normal d16z6 so use higher octane gas.

GSteg
08-02-2002, 01:52 PM
i realized it has been done. that time, i was thinking about the D16Z6 and the D16Y8. there was this one guy from another forum that wanted to do the D16Z6/D16Y8 swap, and when i went back here, i totally forgot that this was a different forum. thanks for clearing that out for me.

btw, its GSteg, not RSteg:D

Lowvic
08-29-2004, 04:11 AM
hey guys would a z6 intake manifold fit a y8 head?

E Honda
08-29-2004, 02:27 PM
I have the head you need............Interested?

4drMadness
08-29-2004, 02:37 PM
you would need to use the Z6 head gasket along w/ the Z6 timing belt. the B7 is to tight and the Y8 way to loose. Also once the B7 head is removed you have to pop out the oil pressure nipple on the block. from there it's straight plug and play pretty much..
Good luck. I'll have a how to w/ pix of this done here in the next month or so...

Lowvic
08-29-2004, 06:24 PM
so would a z6 intake man. fit on a y8 head?

4drMadness
08-29-2004, 06:59 PM
to my knowledge it would...

Lowvic
08-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Ive heard you have to do some mods to the fuel lines and vac line? anyone, is this true?

Dieguex
09-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey i got a 94 Civic Coupe DX with a regular 1.5L SOHC engine, a friend of mine is selling me a D15B Engine (3-Stage V-TEC) also a 1.5L SOHC but a VTEC one, so i was wondering is it really worth it, am i going to actually notice a big difference between my non VTEC engine and the VTEC one????

97CivicX
09-10-2004, 09:44 PM
so would a z6 intake man. fit on a y8 head?

yes it would, but why on earth would you want to do that? have you ever seen them(the manifolds) side by side?

and here is a step by step write up for you wanting to do the mini-me swap:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053

93_hatchback
10-28-2005, 07:24 AM
I just recently put a d16z6 head on my 93 d15b7 block. Here are the parts I bought: D16z6 head, d16z6 manifold with fuel rail, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator, p28 (92-95 ex) ECU, Field Boxer series vtec-sfc controller, d16z6 head gasket (go with d16y8 for more compression), d16z6 intake manifold gasket, 92-95 ex timing belt, plug wires, and spark plugs. You will also need the ditributor for a 92-95 civic ex.

The head will bolt on with no problems, just remember to remove the oil controll jet from the block. It is located between cylinders 2 and 3. If you forget to remove it vtec will not work.

The hardest part is wiring up vtec. I had to run 3 wires to my ECU to make vtec work. If you have any questions on wiring let me know and i will help you out.

bounceii
12-05-2005, 03:35 AM
I just recently put a d16z6 head on my 93 d15b7 block. Here are the parts I bought: D16z6 head, d16z6 manifold with fuel rail, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator, p28 (92-95 ex) ECU, Field Boxer series vtec-sfc controller, d16z6 head gasket (go with d16y8 for more compression), d16z6 intake manifold gasket, 92-95 ex timing belt, plug wires, and spark plugs. You will also need the ditributor for a 92-95 civic ex.

The head will bolt on with no problems, just remember to remove the oil controll jet from the block. It is located between cylinders 2 and 3. If you forget to remove it vtec will not work.

The hardest part is wiring up vtec. I had to run 3 wires to my ECU to make vtec work. If you have any questions on wiring let me know and i will help you out.

will the y8 head work on the b7 block or does it have to be a z6?

hany
12-05-2005, 05:20 AM
look to that site you will know all information about the d16z6 swap and more than you expect. and for anyone need to swap from d15b to d16z6

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053&page=1

enjoy

civicfreak9
01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
i have a 2000 ex with D16Y8. i was wondering would i make any more power if i put a D16Z6 head on and left the Y8 intake since it the "type r of the d series". also should i get a p28 ecu?.....or should i just not bother with any of this and leave the stock Y8 head on?

CivicSpoon
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
There will be no benefit, infact it will lower compression slightly. And you should just stick with the ecu you have now.

civicfreak9
01-14-2007, 09:09 PM
what mods should i do for the most power. i have 1G to spend give or take $150. chips, better pistons, nos, turbos, air intake , any thing will help.

fiberglasscivic
01-15-2007, 07:53 AM
FREAKIN WOW!!! There was so much said here but no real points made.

Cackaphony - Just to re-emphasize the point. Yes, you can swap a D16Z6 head onto a D15B7 engine. You are going to need all the parts you would normally replace when replacing the head on the vehicle except you need the parts for the Z6 not the B7. 93_hatchback has a great parts list. Search for Mini-Me in this forum and you will find lots of info on the swap procedures. Also, in my personal oppinion if you have the ability to swap the head (and the technical understanding of how to do it correctly) then you could just as easily swap the engine. The D16Z6 bolts right in place of where your D15B7 is (bolt for bolt), the biggest difference is the wiring harness and the ECU. You either need to get a D16Z6 wiring harness or run the wires for vtec like what your about to do for the mini me. Usually it cost about the same overall to swap the engine as it does to just swap the head (at least from my experience) and the only time that a Mini-Me is advantageous is when you can obtain some or all of the parts for next to nothing. If you do some shopping you should be able to find the engine and harness for about $200 - $300.

TO ALL NEWBS - Welcome to the forums and your questions are appriciated. To recieve quicker answers please start a new topic rather than a reply in one where the original topic doesn't directly cover your question. A lot of information has already been covered previously and if you search the civic forums you may find that you question has already been asked and answered. Please search before posting a question.

INFORMATION ABOUT ENGINE PART SWAPPING
Ok there were several questions posted in this thread that are easily covered by one common answer. For anyone who wants to know "Will part from (fill in the blank) engine fit my engine?" the answer is that any part of any honda engine will work with any honda engine that is in the same letter series. For instance the alternator from a D16Y8 will work on a D15B7 but the alternator from a B18C1 will not work on a D15B7. D to D, B to B, H to H but not B to D, D to B ect. The only time that you may find complications is if you are trying to swap from non vtec to vtec or viseversa or OBD I to OBD II and viceversa. For instance a P28 ECU (VTEC ecu from a 92-95 ex or si) will not properly operate a D15B7 (non vtec engine) or the distributor from a D16Y7 (OBD II) will not properly match the wiring harness for a D15B7 (OBD I). In the case of swapping a vtec head onto a non-vtec engine there are some things that absolutely must be swapped with the head like the P28 ecu to ensure proper operation of the VTEC head. The Mini-Me swap does have it problems and it also has it's advantages. Please read up before you attempt it and determine if it's worth the trouble to try it or if it would be better just to swap out to a new engine.

dmercado1115
09-14-2008, 07:12 AM
yes the z6 head will fit it will also fit on the y7 and if you dont belive me go to you tube and look at my videos of my 4dr civic at the track all u got to do is type SIFRE RACING on the search bar

dizzle1
09-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I think the 92-95 ex si have quicker ratio transmissions and the ecu may be required but thats for auto's, 5spd you can control it if thats the ecu p28 5spd.
Y7 or Z6 the Z6 is better its all OBD1 no changes just VTEC and wires remove oil pressure screw in block by center cylinders
New head studs bolts
I like the idea but its not gonna be better than a ex or si so why bother and I hear people say in the forumns it never ran perfect also a CEL
Higher compression with thinner headgasket
Use a Z6 timing belt change water pump too
Bottom line we know what a ex can do and is about nothing great so save up for a B H K swap unless you brought a ex or si n ur into that

dippinzc
09-24-2008, 11:04 PM
hey will a d16z6 head fit on a zc block ? im trying to swap my non vtec head to vtec:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!