Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Brake Pads rattling...Solution?

BlazerLT
06-06-2006, 10:40 PM
If you read earlier, I just replaced my brake pads with Monroe parts and everything is going well.

The one thing is that the pads are rattling when I go over bumps in the road.

Any application of the brakes and the noise goes away.

I reached in and could shimy the outer pads a just a small bit on both sides.

Can anything fix this? Maybe it is the caliper pins that need to be replaced seeing they are quite pitted and maybe they aren't allow the caliper to seat properly.

Anyone?

OverBoardProject
06-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Center pins would be my best guess.

BlazerLT
06-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Center pins?

OverBoardProject
06-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Sorry BLT, my dyslexia is acting up a little more than normal I ment to say caliper pins, agreeing with you

BlazerLT
06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
oh, ok, lol....

I just went out and took a look under a flood light and the outer pads are loose for sure.

I will have to go out and remove them tomorrow and bend the tabs inward where they go onto the caliper. They are not bent enough to snugly have the pad no moving around when installed.

Here I thought something else was going on with the front end but nope, just the pads.

Will make them fit snugly so they won't move around and replace the caliper pins which will be well lubed up with sil-glide.

Will keep you posted.

wolfox
06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
There are little ears on the outer pads that compress down to lock them into place - or at least there were there on my pads when I replaced them with Ceramic/Kevlar pads on fresh rotors. The ears are compressed with a big pair of channel lock pliers so that they hold the pad snugly in the caliper assembly. The "ears" are on the outsides of the pad, top and bottom and may already be pre-bent so you can grasp them with your pliers. Squeeze the dickens out of them and this will snug them up in place properly.

BlazerLT
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
There are little ears on the outer pads that compress down to lock them into place - or at least there were there on my pads when I replaced them with Ceramic/Kevlar pads on fresh rotors. The ears are compressed with a big pair of channel lock pliers so that they hold the pad snugly in the caliper assembly. The "ears" are on the outsides of the pad, top and bottom and may already be pre-bent so you can grasp them with your pliers. Squeeze the dickens out of them and this will snug them up in place properly.

Yea, those are the ears I am talking about.

Do you compress them with them on the caliper or with the pads off?

blazee
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
ears AKA Anti-rattle clips. That would be the first place that I would look, however, most of the ones I've gotten have been adjusted pretty well, and didn't need much tweaking.

BlazerLT
06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
ears AKA Anti-rattle clips. That would be the first place that I would look.

Is it common for them to have to be compressed when being installed or are they usually setup properly right out of the box?

blazee
06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Is it common for them to have to be compressed when being installed or are they usually setup properly right out of the box?
Sorry, I edited my post while you were replying.

I haven't had many problems with them not coming adjusted properly. You just have to make sure that they fit tightly over the pad, and slide snuggly into the groove in the caliper bracket. It doesn't take much slop to cause a rattle.

wolfox
06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
You compress them on the truck, calipers and pads installed. So all you have to do is drop the wheel off the truck. Using the channel locks as described will pretty much bend the ears evenly on your first go and they just have to be snug. Later on when you replace pads again, just pry the outside pads out with a thick blade screwdriver with the caliper off the mount, they'll just pop out.

muddog321
06-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I've had good luck with the permatex blue antisqueeze on the pad backs to stop that rattle (had an 89 Suburban that did that).

old_master
06-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Have an assistant apply the brakes very firmly, that will force the outboard pad to seat tightly against the caliper. While the brake is still applied, use a punch and hammer to bend the tabs tightly against the caliper, a couple of raps usually does it. Make sure the anti rattle clip on the inboard pad grips the pad tightly to keep it from moving around too. New anti rattle clips occasionally need to be "adjusted" to fit the pad tightly. There are 2 rubber O-rings that each caliper guide pin goes through, total of 8 O-rings per vehicle. They dry out during the life of the pads and will allow the caliper to move around on the guide pins. That can also cause a rattle and a vibration during braking if they're worn badly enough. The hardware kits are cheap; each kit includes the O-rings, anti rattle clip, and the steel bushings, Raybestos part # 505524 for $1.29 per wheel at Advanced Auto parts. The guide pins are only $3.44 each. For under $20 you can have all new hardware!

BlazerLT
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, got the job done today.

Had to take the outside pads off completely and hammer the upper clips down quite a bit until it took some force to clip them back on.

Now the rattle is gone.

And now comes the fun part:

While doing this, I saw that both inside pads are cracked right down the center in the area where the piston makes contact. This is the same for both sides.

I said too hell with it and I put them back on seeing it was just a hairline crack and I will use these for a while before I go and get the warranty replacements. Get my money's worth out of them.

Go figures........

rental blazer
06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, got the job done today.

Had to take the outside pads off completely and hammer the upper clips down quite a bit until it took some force to clip them back on.

Now the rattle is gone.

And now comes the fun part:

While doing this, I saw that both inside pads are cracked right down the center in the area where the piston makes contact. This is the same for both sides.

I said too hell with it and I put them back on seeing it was just a hairline crack and I will use these for a while before I go and get the warranty replacements. Get my money's worth out of them.

Go figures........

that reminds me i gota go take mine in and clam the warnnty on em they are fryed i smoked em during super hard driving when i say smoke....i got out of my car and saw gray smoke coming out jeez maybe i need ceramic

Add your comment to this topic!