Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 s-10 Injection Problem

Edgar Guzman
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forums. I need to sort a problem i ran into. My s-10 2000 2.2L 70K miles. Last night light the Check engine light light on while a was driving and a few seconds later the engine became irregular and there was loss of power.
After I park the car I notice that the fuel mixture was very rich.
Today I took the car to a service shop and they conected the computer reader and they told me that the code readout point them to the fuel injection. Afterwards they call me and told me that the problems was that the computer was fulty and I have to change it. That this problem was not unsuall to chevrolet.

i was wondering if some has had a similar problem?

MT-2500
06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forums. I need to sort a problem i ran into. My s-10 2000 2.2L 70K miles. Last night light the Check engine light light on while a was driving and a few seconds later the engine became irregular and there was loss of power.
Today I took the car to a service shop and they conected the computer reader and they told me that the code readout point them to the fuel injection. Afterwards they call me and told me that the problems was that the computer was fulty and I have to change it. That this problem was not unsuall to chevrolet.

Welcome to AF on your first post.
Actually that is what TSB's are for to let people know of known problems.
Was there any tsb,s on it?
MT

blazee
06-07-2006, 05:48 AM
What was the code? Seems that the computer is the first thing blamed when someone doesn't understand the problem. I've seen a lot of people pay to have their computers replaced, and to date I can't remember one where a new computer solved the problem.

MT-2500
06-07-2006, 08:48 AM

Like Blazee said on the computer.
Also the pcm/vcm carry a 8 year 80K emmision warranty. {free replacement}
Was this a dealer repair shop and what is your mileage?
Have you replaced VCM or you just asking about it?
MT

Edgar Guzman
06-07-2006, 09:25 AM
thank's to MT and Blazee.
First I'm outside the US so warranties are not cover by the dealers past de 1-3 years. My car is at a repair shop and the milage is around 78K miles. The shop is printing all the data from the reader, so in a couple of hours I will have all the info.

I haven't change de VCM or any other part I'm in the diagnostic part of the process. I know a little bout electronics, but automotive electronics I only have general knowleged.

So please bear with me I will have more info to share. I think that the problem is more with the fuel injection or the gas pump from what I been reading on this forum about other chevrolet model.

best regards

MT-2500
06-07-2006, 11:30 AM
thank's to MT and Blazee.
First I'm outside the US so warranties are not cover by the dealers past de 1-3 years. My car is at a repair shop and the milage is around 78K miles. The shop is printing all the data from the reader, so in a couple of hours I will have all the info.

I haven't change de VCM or any other part I'm in the diagnostic part of the process. I know a little bout electronics, but automotive electronics I only have general knowleged.

So please bear with me I will have more info to share. I think that the problem is more with the fuel injection or the gas pump from what I been reading on this forum about other chevrolet model.

best regards

Yes fuel filter and fuel pressure is one of the first things to check.
Fuel specs are 41/47 lbs of fuel pressure on your truck.
Also there is a TSB on it for a new revised type fuel pump.
TSB no. 01-06-04-03B july 2001
It pertains to low power -stall- or no start.
A good running fuel pressure check should tell if the fuel pump is the problem.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
MT

busa4
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
i have seen many mass airflow sensors do this.

Edgar Guzman
06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I just came back from the repair shop. they use a Genesys reader with the generic reader the code was P0200 and cofiguring the reader with the configuration for the car the codes that show are P0300 and P0463. And they still tell me that they recomend to change the VCM.

If I read correctly code P0463 is high voltage from the tank level so that has gone and I need to replace it with the fuel pump.

For the P0300 code It a multiple missfire

For the P0200 code fuel injection control cicuit voltage

Whats the best course of action?

busa4
06-07-2006, 06:33 PM
check the injector wiring harness. make sure it is not rubbing against metal. this will cause a short which will cause the injector to stay open and dump fuel. pull all the spark plugs and see which one or more is flooded and that will give you an idea which injector wire to start looking at. also check your injector fuse.

MT-2500
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
I just came back from the repair shop. they use a Genesys reader with the generic reader the code was P0200 and cofiguring the reader with the configuration for the car the codes that show are P0300 and P0463. And they still tell me that they recomend to change the VCM.

If I read correctly code P0463 is high voltage from the tank level so that has gone and I need to replace it with the fuel pump.

For the P0300 code It a multiple missfire

For the P0200 code fuel injection control cicuit voltage

Whats the best course of action?

Do they gaurantee that will fix it or just playing a hunch on with your dollar?
I would be sure of it or check it out good before i done it.

The codes do not say throw parts at it they say check it out and as said in the code control circuit/and or wiring.
More testing would be in order.
And as busa4 said check that injector wiring.
There is a good repair flow chart for the code P200 that will tell you if it is wiring or injector or PCM/VCM injector driver.
I would suggest going threw the repair flow charts before throwing parts at it.
A good factory repair manual or mitchell repair or All data repair info has the repair charts.
If the repair shop does not have the repair info.
Here is a link to the all data diy repair info sub. 24.95$us plastic and 10 minutes and you can have it on your pc. a one year online sub.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
MT

busa4
06-09-2006, 07:37 AM
what did you find? keep us posted.....

Edgar Guzman
06-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi, i'm picking up the car from the repair shop today and I will start to work at it my self. Will change the spark plugs, and cables, plus be cleanning all the wire harnesess to the injection. keep you inform on the outcome.

Add your comment to this topic!