Battery? Alternator? Both?

jboler
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm having a strange problem with my avenger. It will run great for about a week, and then you got to turn the ignition, and get nothing. No lights, no sounds, no anything. Took the battery to Autozone....tested fine. Am i looking at a new alternator?

Thanks,

94StealthTT
06-07-2006, 06:59 PM
When they tested the battery did it have power? How many volts? Was there still power to other things just not the starter? You could have them test the alternator too when you get it running again, assuming the person doing it knows what they are doing. I have had some bad experience with Autozone but anyway it could be a bad battery cable. Check that for corrosion and also check the connections on the starter for wear and corrosion. Start by checking those then go from there. If it runs a whole week without the battery dying its not your alternator. Sounds to me like an electrical problem or possibly something to do with the ignition switch. My friends Bonneville had a bad ignition switch. It would start and run but next time you would go to start it the key would turn over but it wouldnt start.

Add your comment to this topic!