2002 Taurus will not Start!

T-Bird
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I have a 2002 Taurus 56K miles will not start sometimes. I jumped it and still will not turn over. Not even a click. However, turning the key and all of the accessories will light. The odd thing about this is that once it does start it runs fine! No blown fuses.

It was not a sudden failure. It progressed over time until it will not reliably start on command!

I did notice that on the Instrument Cluster, when you turn the key no Yellow Engine light will come on. However, when it will start, this light shows up when I turn the key.

Could it be a starter?

At this point it is in the sometimes will not start at all phase. I wonder if this is covered under the Extended Warranty I purchased or maybe not.

If someone has seen this, let me know what can be done to solve this.

Thanks,

T-Bird

shorod
06-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, it could be starter, but since you mention that when it won't start, you don't see the yellow engine light (very good observation, by the way!) I suspect your problem may be more with the Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) or possibly the ignition switch (not the key cylinder switch). I suppose you should rule out the transmission range switch as well.

A few things to try:
-see if the car will start in neutral
-see if the car will start reliably with a different ignition key
-try tapping the starter while someone holds the key in the "Start" position
-Note if the "Theft" indicator on the dash illuminates or blinks when the car won't start.

Good luck!
-Rod

T-Bird
06-06-2006, 05:34 PM
The Theft light blinks when the car will not start! Hummmmmm!!!!

InstallTech
06-06-2006, 07:27 PM
If the THEFT light is blinking quickly when the car doesn't start, then you have a problem with the PATS/ Securlock antitheft system.

T-Bird
06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi,

Another little item. When I returned home today to work on it, I found that if I performed the following procedure it worked.

I inserted the Key into the ignition and then turned to position 3 and stopped.

I waited for the Emission Lamp (looks like a Engine) to light and it did not.

I extracted the Key, and waited a few seconds then reinserted the Key, and turned to Position 3, this time the little engine lamp came on. It would start after that.

When ever it did not start, extracting the Key and reinserting the Key allowed it to crank.

shorod
06-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Do you have a second programmed key that you can try to see if the symptoms are different with the second key?

-Rod

Millermagic
06-07-2006, 06:20 AM
If the theft light blinks then you have a problem with the anti theft system. When you try to start it, do all of the lights on the dash go blank?

Add your comment to this topic!