Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

relay ? multi-function? DRLamps?

drdd
06-06-2006, 01:04 AM
well ... just got back from an hour-long drive ...

all of a sudden, I noticed that the DRLamp light on the dash would blink intermittently ... I would also hear an intermittent click from the glovebox ...

this happened only 4 times ... kinda random ...

any ideas?

relay ? multifunction switch?

no codes. 97 Jimmy ...

muzzy1maniac
06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Check this post out for instructions on how to clean your multi-function switch...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=545894&highlight=multi+function

joeuser742
06-06-2006, 08:58 AM
What's a DRLamp?

blazee
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
What's a DRLamp?
The instrument panel indicator for the Daytime Running Lights.

joeuser742
06-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Ahh. I couldn't figure that out. Hmm, then maybe there is a bad connection/ground somewhere. I remember seeing something about the hazzard switch going bad causing no brake lights, but don't remember what year that was for. I had a problem with a bad pulse board, I was getting the clicking behind the glovebox.
There is too much stuff on these Blazers/Jimmys that is all tied together. When one part fails it's because something else caused it.

BlazerBoyLT98
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
When one light goes out, they all go out! Edith get me a beer!!! :)

I removed the fuse for my DRL so they no longer turn on :)

drdd
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
okay here's an update...

I walk out tonite after work and my headlights and brights don't work.

so, again,

I've now seen the flickering DRLamp on the dash (and heard the clicking sound in the glovebox) about 4 times.

Now tonite, no headlights or brights.

all other lights and accessories are fine.
swapped relays in the glovebox with no results.
all fuses are good.

would the dirty multi-function switch still cause this?

Check this post out for instructions on how to clean your multi-function switch...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=545894&highlight=multi+function

drdd
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
okay, I've got the multi-function switch off the column. It's still connected to the harness wires.

sooo , what is it I'm supposed to clean? the wire contacts to the harness? they look okay to me ...

I began opening up the bottom plastic lid, but I was afraid of losing the small springs inside ... looks like mostly plastic anyhow ... is that what I need to clean?

EDIT: okay, I got the lid open and can see the copper contacts under the plastic BUT, I can't get the while plastic thing completely out. Same as in muzzy's link ...

guess I'll just clean what I can and see what happens ...

EDIT: well it looks like I had two different problems. cleaning the multi-function switch seemed to solve my clicking glovebox and flickering DRLamp indicator but not the headlights. As far as the headlights, I tried to take apart the switch and clean it but that didn't do the trick. Advance Autoparts had a new switch for $21 and everything's working fine now. I'll put back all the trim tomorrow when there's more daylight.

Add your comment to this topic!