Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Abs Computer in '98 accord coupe 2.4 ltr

annog
06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
I have just been told thay my ABS computer is dead and wants replacing. The cost for a new one( I am told) is $1300.00.

Other than my ABs light coming on and the the occasional shudder abs braking, there are no symptoms.

Is there any way around this gargantuan computer bill?

Igovert500
06-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Well providing, that is the correct diagnosis, I'd start checking out your local junkyards and www.car-part.com for a used ABS computer.

I'm guessing the bill is so much because you probably took it to a stealership, where they charge you ridiculous amounts for new parts, and then an insane $75 an hour for labor. Try to find a more local, private mechanic, ask around with people who know cars, and see who they trust. Chances are, if it's a self employed mechanic who actually is good and fair, his labor will be much cheaper.

I hate to say it, but it is a common misconception that
A) dealerships know more than teh average mechanic
and
B) that they are more trustworthy, both with money, and your car.

I worked at a dealership, and you would not believe the idiots they let drive and work on your cars.

annog
06-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks fro your reply

The people I am dealing with are the best priced independant mechanics I have ever encountered.

I need to know if anyone has been through this before, and what are the ins, and outs.

Igovert500
06-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Well I'm just saying. When I needed a substitue ECU for trouble shooting for my car. Dealership that I worked for quoted me $1200. Got it shipped to my door, via the above website for $100, with only 40k on it. Might want to check it out. Generally any computer on a car is a relatively easy thing to swap out. It usually is only secured by a few bolts and connected to a few clip-on wiring harnesses. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!