Page updated on 10-21-2017

01 Neon Oil Light

CrissCross
06-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi all, Just need to get some advise here.

My moms 2001 Dodge Neon has the oil light comming on at idel. when the engine is reved the ight goes off so I am thinking that this is an oil pump. I have echecked the oil level all is well. She just had the oild changed about a month ago. This is a 2.0 engine and has only 80,000 miles on it.

What are the chances that this problem is a faulty sensor vs an oil pump?

CrissCross
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
**** UPDATE ****
As of this after noon the oil light is staying on. So I am goign to make sure that my mom does not drive it any further till I can get this fixed.

Any ideas would be great.

89ltd
06-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I would change the sensor, its pretty cheap, if the light stays on you should have it checked with a mechenical gauge that screws in where the sensor goes, just to make sure.

CrissCross
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I just checked and the sensor is cheap so I think I will take your advise. Do you happen to have any idea where the sensor is located on this car?

das2123
06-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Could be the sending unit also.

SRT-Wannabe
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
well, i don't exactly know where the sensor is located, but there's also a chance that you may also need to chance your oil. if you have conventional oil, it has to be changed every 3,000 miles. Sythetic is the better way to go, as it cleans your engine, but you'll be stuck using it from then on because you can't go back to regular oil, believe me, it's a bad idea.

das2123
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
you'll be stuck using it from then on because you can't go back to regular oil, believe me, it's a bad idea.Why do you say that?

CrissCross
06-05-2006, 04:28 PM
The oil is change on a regular basis.

So is the sending unti not the same thing as the oil pump?

If not where can I find the sending unit and or the oil pressure switch?

das2123
06-06-2006, 02:33 PM
So is the sending unti not the same thing as the oil pump?They are not the same and I don't know where they would be on a 2001 neon. This site may help you out...
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neon2000fsm.html

SRT-Wannabe
06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Why do you say that?

just repeating what i've been told by everyone, once you switch to synthetic oil, you can't go back to conventional, am i correct with this?

CrissCross
06-07-2006, 07:35 AM
she just uses regular oil. I am going to go look at the car this weekend and see if I can replace the sensor. The light does not come on right away when the engine is turned on it takes a few min. Then it will start to come on only at idle and then if it the car is still in use it will start to come on as you drive down hte road and will stay on. Car only has 80k miles on it. Is it possiable that some one just screwed up when they did the oil chnage and maybe put diffrent oil in it than they were told?

das2123
06-07-2006, 07:53 AM
just repeating what i've been told by everyone, once you switch to synthetic oil, you can't go back to conventional, am i correct with this?
I would think it's the other way around. Conventional oil cause seals to swell and synthetics cause seals to shrink.

Is it possible that some one just screwed up when they did the oil chnage and maybe put diffrent oil in it than they were told?Anything is possible, but I don't know why that would cause the light to come on. Maybe it has too thick of an oil in there or something like that.

Add your comment to this topic!