Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Erh?!?

JunkTitleGolf
06-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Ok. I noticed my sub has been making this horrible noise and louder volumes. And today I hooked it up free air...and it made this dull sound. The only thing I can think of is that I got a refubbed sub and the voice coil is going out...or did I mess the coil up? I've only been pushing to it 440 wrms and the sub is rated at 600 wrms. It's a Cerwin Vega! Vmax and I don't think that my power acoustik amp could have done it. But maybe I'm wrong. I also noticed the other day something sounded loose on the inside.

JunkTitleGolf
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Also when I move the sub with my hands there is no scratchy sound or anything of that sort at all. You can also see the voice coil through some vents and it looks brand new without any wear or anything like that on it.

JayR04
06-04-2006, 07:05 PM
does it make a weird smell

JunkTitleGolf
06-05-2006, 12:41 AM
No no weird smell. I've blown about 3 subs now so I know what it's like to see one blown thermally. I overpowered them some how. That's why I went with a bigger wrms than I push well, 200 over just to be safe. Someone at my work said I might have messed up the motor structure...don't understand how though.

CBFryman
06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
you didnt mess up your motor structure...sounds like thermaled coils, 440wRMS amp can put out 880w fully clipped if the power supply can handle the current. :)

how long have you had this sub/ if it was a refub it could have been a cappy recone with misaligned coils, though thatis unlikely.

JunkTitleGolf
06-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I'd say I had it maybe a month and a half at the most. But I don't think it was clipping because I had it retuned and the gains are low now. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but I was running it in stereo but only had one sub hooked up. It was on the right channel.

JunkTitleGolf
06-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Also the sub is free moving and not locked up.

Add your comment to this topic!