Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4.3 vortec compatibility

yellowlt1
06-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Does anyone know what 4.3 engines can be used in certain year blazers? I have a 95 that has just thrown a main bearing. I have several leads on engines that range from 92-95. Also if the new engine is a 95 but has a TBI and mine has CPI can it be used with an intake swap?? Thanks!!!

rlith
06-04-2006, 07:18 AM
The tbi has a smaller cam, which decreases power over the CPI block...

You can use a 92-94 in your 95... If your ECM is under the dash, it's a direct swap, if it's on the coolant recovery bottle you need to move the following over from your old engine...

Distributor
Lower intake
Timing chain cover
reluctor wheel...
larger threaded knock sensor from the passenger side (on the 92-94 the sensor is on the passenger side head against the firewall and uses a smaller diameter thread)

yellowlt1
06-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info. A lot of the yards already have them out so I guess it's a crap shoot as to whether the ecm is inside or out. Maybe I'll go with a reman short block.

blazee
06-04-2006, 09:14 AM
You can use a 92-94 in your 95... If your ECM is under the dash, it's a direct swap, if it's on the coolant recovery bottle you need to move the following over from your old engine...

Can't you also tell the diiference by whether the plug wires enter the cap vertically or horizontally?

rlith
06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info. A lot of the yards already have them out so I guess it's a crap shoot as to whether the ecm is inside or out. Maybe I'll go with a reman short block.

No, just look at yours. is the ECM inside the engine compartment? If so then any 92-95 will work as long as you swap the above parts over from your old engine.

herkyhawki
06-05-2006, 10:39 AM
you should stick to a block late 94 or newer. The earlier crankshafts may not be machined for the reluctor wheel, the blocks may not have drillings for you knock sensors.
Use all the knock sensors that your 95 has on it now.
The plastic timing cover needed for crank position sensor will leak if installed on an older block because the casting was changed in94.

yellowlt1
06-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all the info. I can't find a used one that will work so I think I;ll go with the reman. I'll just make sure that the block is the correct one for the plastic timing cover. Most places seem to know what one is correct.

Add your comment to this topic!