Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tune Up Help

drick37
06-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I have never tuned up a Ford. The dealer wants $300+ for a tune up. I can't afford that. I have a 2000 Vic (standard model). What will I need besides spark plugs and wires? Any small items that may be broken when taking off the stuff?

ModMech
06-04-2006, 08:40 AM
There are no wires, as this engine uses "COP"s (Coil On Plug)s where there is one ignition coil for each plug.

You need a 7mm (?) wrench to remove the bolt from the coil, a vacuum, brush or air blower to remove the dirt from around the coil boots BEFORE you remove them, some dielectric grease to apply to the inside and outside of the coil boots, and 8 AWSF 32PP spark plugs.

DO NOT use anything but Ford/Motorcraft plugs, everything else is "might fit", and there have been many reported problems with other plug brands.

DO NOT apply any antisieze, oil etc to the threads, and DO NOT over Tq the plugs! 13ft-lbs to 15 ft-lbs ONLY.

Also, be VERY careful not to cross-thread the plugs during install.

The coils come out by bending them outward after they are unplugged and the bolt is removed. There is NO NEED to mess with the fuel rail.

drick37
06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks I was just about to take the fuel rail off. You are a life saver.

Add your comment to this topic!