Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition key sticking

vicm
06-03-2006, 03:29 PM
My 2000 Sienna has started breaking down...windshield wipers...rear hatch handle...and now the ignition key sticks in the ignition switch and is very difficult to pull out. It's not a matter of jiggling the wheel, or making sure the switch is turned exactly to 'off'...It comes out about a 1/4 inch, then something mechanical hooks on to one of the slots in the key, and no amount of pushing or pulling will release it. oNly a combination of pulling and twisting will let it go, but I'm afraid it will soon break. This started happening a few months ago, while still under extended warranty, but the dealer refused to fix it, saying ignition stuff wasn't covered. I paid almost $40 grand and reguarly serviced it there for 5 years...He lost all of my future car purchases and regular service appointments at that point...
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks,
Vic

tandor
06-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Get it fixed now. About three weeks ago I experienced the same problem on my 2001 with 85k miles. Over the phone, the dealer thought it was the key cylinder. $101 for the cylinder, $40 to change the pins to the current key (or your new key won't work in the doors), and $140 for installation - uh, plus shop supplies, prayer beads, 401k, state tax, disposal fee, save the children, etc. Since I could get the key out after a lot of jiggling, I put it off until a convenient time which of course, never came. Put some graphite lubricant in the key slot and it seemed to help.
Got in the van today and the key turns only one click, releasing the steering wheel but won't turn farther. Tried the spare key with the same result. Gave up after 20 min of jiggling (yes, foot was on brake). Now I'm facing a tow to the dealer. I may buy the cylinder and try to replace it myself but it could easily turn out to be something else. Found some help with replacement on another forum - it's not easy.
Please let me/us know what you decided on yours. Thanks.

lifesagas
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
here's the problem - toyota made the lock difficult to pick. they put something in there called fins, or wings, or splicers or something.

after awhile, in my case 85,000 miles they begin to wear out and catch on each other.

you'll notice the key not working well for awhile, then eventually the fins will lock in place and the car is locked for good.

i took my car to a locksmith, he knew the problem immediately. he said leave the car in the ACC position, so that he could remove the cylinder.

he did that and then removed those nasty fin things and now the car starts great every time.

it cost me $100.

Add your comment to this topic!