Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter Problem

i_cry_at_night
06-03-2006, 01:01 PM
i bought a new starter and put it in but when i turn the key, the starter will just click, it wont even turn the engine. When i tap on the starter with a wrench when turning the key, it starts no problem. i was wondering if anyone knows what i can do to solve this problem.

Please HELP

BoatCop
06-04-2006, 06:44 PM
i bought a new starter and put it in but when i turn the key, the starter will just click, it wont even turn the engine. When i tap on the starter with a wrench when turning the key, it starts no problem. i was wondering if anyone knows what i can do to solve this problem.

Please HELP

It sounds like the starter is binding in the housing bushing.

Tapping on it is enough to free it up.

Pull the starter and see if there are rough spots or burrs in the bushing.

You can run some crocus cloth (metal sandpaper) through it to sooth it out, but replacing the bushing will be your best bet.

Tomb stone
07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Don’t know if this will work for you, but you might try it.
I had the same problem for years. Sometimes the starter would work, sometimes it wouldn’t. I replaced the starter and solenoid to no avail. Sometimes, the only way I could get the damn thing started was to wedge the ignition switch in the “start” position with a pencil while I beat on the starter with the jack iron. Then, when it finally would start, I would have to run to the drivers seat and un-wedge the ignition switch before the engine burned the starter up. After living with this for years, I finally decided to look harder for the problem. What I discovered was that the wire from the ignition switch to the starter has about 6 “factory” splice points. It goes from under the dash to the fuse box, back down under the dash, along the left heater channel, under the rear seat and out the firewall to the engine compartment. The wire and splices on mine were pretty deteriorated in places (especially under the rear seat) so I didn’t even try to clean them. What I did was get about 15’ of 12 gauge wire from AutoZone and started at the fuse box and followed the original wire all the way to the starter. Instead of crimping the connectors, I soldered them. I didn’t disconnect the original either; I figured it must be capable of carrying some current. I just connected them both at the starter and fuse box.
This fixed the problem for me. Even with a low battery, it starts fine---and it would never start with a weak battery before.

Good luck,
TOM

Add your comment to this topic!