Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought a '94 Mustang...questions.

NeoFreek
07-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Well just about 30 minutes ago I got home from picking up my Mustang. Its a '94 with the 3.8 liter, auto and 90k miles. Very clean inside and out. Only $3600, which I thought was a good deal. The only thing bad about it is that the AC leaks, it has a very strong smoke smell, worst I have ever smelled, and the exterior is pink (which I think actually looks very sleek and sexy. It shows the lines of the car like no other color.)

Well to the question, I noticed the air bag light stays on while I drive. Is that normal? I saw it when I was test driving it, but it never crossed my mind until I was driving it home. I don't remember ever seeing this on other Mustangs, but then again I wasn't looking for that. Is it something I should worry about, and have checked? Or is it like this on all of the Mustangs?

EDIT: Well I didn't know this but there was an owners manual in the glove box. Never thought of looking in there (duhhh). Anyways, it says that I need to bring the car in for service of the air bags when the light stays on like that. They will charge me an arm and a leg to fix it, I just know it. Do you think I could still hold back and wait to get it fixed until I have the money?

And yet another question. I was just looking at the possiblities of upgrading my stereo. One thing I wanted to do was to check on what speakers could fit in the front doors. Well there is no way to get the stupid grill off of the door. Then just to see how to get the stereo out of the dash. Well another plan gone to the goats. Is there some guide or something that can tell me how to get the front speakers out and how to remove the receiver?

Any help that you can give me would be great...Thanx.

BalzOsteel
07-31-2002, 04:22 PM
First of all, congradulations on your new car. I dont really know what you should do about your air bags but I do know what to do about your stereo and your speakers. I went to circut city and they told me everything I needed to know. I wouldn't try to take out the grill or the stereo (you need some kinda special tool). But ya, just go to circut city or best buy or car toys or some place like that and they will take care of you.

94svt5.0
08-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Get it serviced or dont expect the air bags to work in a wreck. Its up to you. Sure its not the ABS light, which is for the brakes?

fordman123
08-17-2002, 10:52 PM
First let's start with the airbag light..
Does is flash or stay on continuously?
Will the horn blow? Cruise work?
If the airbag light is on then it may/may not deploy during and accident.
(Hope this never happens by the way)

Next.. the radio.
PIECE OF CAKE!!
Go to Autozone.. Ask for a pair of Ford Radio Tools.
They are shaped like a U
Insert tools until it clicks.. bend right side tool to the right and
left side tool to the left and pull out!!
Simple.

Next the speakers..
A little more patience in removing a door trim panel (if you have never done before)
NEVER FORCE IT.
Check for screws clips etc.
I can't remember exactly how they are fastened although I have pulled many of them .
I am almost positive that you will need to remove the piece around the door handle. Remove power door lock/window switches (if applicable)
If not equipped with power locks/windows, you will need to remove the manual window crank.
Once all the screws have been removed, pry somewhere low on the door and see if it is fastened with straight clips or if it has the new lock clips. If it has the lock clips, then once every fastener or screw is removed it should slide right up and over the door lock knob.
Then it's just 3 or 4 screw retaining the speaker.
Hope this helps
Enjoy your new RIDE!!!!

Fordman123

NeoFreek
08-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Well an update: I took out the radio. I made my own tools with some wire. Fairly easy. (A note to anyone else wanting to do this...you need to do it very slow. A light touch is all it needs.) I now have a CD player in. I also installed my dual 10" subs in the trunk. A complete stealth install. I put 2-way 6 1/2 speakers in the rear deck. Haven't had time for the front ones yet.

I am going to wait on the airbags. I am hopeing that it is not to serious. The dealership said it would cost atleast $100 just to look at it. And it could be as much as $2000 to repair. Or it could just be a $.50 fuse.

I will be putting my car into storage in a few months for winter. Hopefully then I can get some money saved up and get everything fixed all in one trip next spring to the dealership.

Add your comment to this topic!