Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'04 Ram 1500 Hemi seizure

Moprlvr
06-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of any problems with the 5.7L engine suddenly spinning a bearing. I started mine up this morning and heard a really loud ticking like a flat lifter; I drove it to the nearest dealer and they discovered that I had spun a bearing and ruined my crankshaft. The strange thing is that there were NO symptoms at all that this was going to happen; it's been running fine, oil pressure was normal, dipstick showed normal oil level, etc. Since it only had 37,700 miles on it, it was still covered under the 7/70 power train warranty, but I'm just curious to know if this has happened to anyone else. Any thoughts or input would be helpful. Thanks!

2000mudder
06-02-2006, 11:40 PM
they only build 'em to last till 36,000 miles hoping you won't buy the extended waranty!!! just kidding but it's prob true. just could have been a bad bearing that slipped through the inspection process. prob made on a monday( hangover day)

bunyz06rabbitt
06-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Go to dodgetruckworld.com and do a search on their forums under Hemi. I think you're not the only person this has happened to. I'm really glad they covered you under 7/70 though. You must've been a cool cucumber when you showed up at service. They tend to appreciate that in customers. Hemi's, although good engines, have been known to drop valves, have toner rings explode and have that infamous Hemi tick. Did you get a new engine or are they swapping out parts? Former '03 Hemi QC owner here, upgraded to an '06 SRT10 QC for the very reasons I've just stated.

Add your comment to this topic!