Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

welps im not too sure on what to do...

Chiquae07
06-01-2006, 08:44 PM
i haven't done my synthetic swap yet. thats #1 on my list after i solve this problem. turns out that i am burning oil. yes i am, im not leaking it, and the oil lvl goes down every 100 miles and gets blacker. so now, im not sure what i should do. change the oil every 1.5k miles, or go to the stealership and see what they have to say. im jw, have any of yo guys used that restore stuff for your car? that boosts compression lvls and helps seal the cylinder walls o w/e? do u guys have any solutions. btw, my car is a 2001 b15 sentra with sr20de...any ideas would be great thanks.

Igovert500
06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, how about we start with some trouble shooting...before jumping hte gun with the Stealership.

A) You say you're burning it, so I assume blue smoke out of hte tailpipes?

B) Does it only happen at startup, or when you get under heavy acceleration, or all the time?

C) Check your compression.

This will help narrow down whether it's valve seals, piston rings, etc.

Chiquae07
06-01-2006, 09:31 PM
A) no blue smoke, or that i can see since im inside the car when it happens. if i stop and look, its a no show.

B)heavy accelleration. after that i get a really interesting smell. its not quite rubber, yet doesnt smell like rotten eggs or a sweet smell. so its not the cat or an exhaust leak.

C) how am i post to cheak my compression? ive heard of ways, but i dont currently own the equipment for it...

Mr Wiggl3s
06-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Interesting topic, im sure this is going to have some useful info
sorry i dont have any to contribute

rice(er)
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
valve seals?? i had mine done, and the oil burning is reduced!

turtlecrxsi
06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
^^may quite be a possibility. Also, 1.5k miles between oil changes is quite a lot of oil changes. If you're not racing all the time or have a race motor it's probably not necessary to change your oil that often. Plus, I wouldn't switch to synthetic until you narrow down your oil consumption because you're just wasting money.

Chiquae07
06-03-2006, 01:23 AM
^^^turtle, thats y i havent done it yet. besides the synthetic was free. just check valvolines website for the deal. i havent actually changed the oil every 1.5k miles, more like 2.8-3.0 or so. but it has recently gone down from when i origionally changed the oil. had the dip stick hot and it was about 3/4ths up to allmost fully full. now its at like 1/2 and is getting blacker every 100 miles. it might be that this new oil is doing a great job of cleaning the engine since i first changed it with conventional pensoil<<dumb move but now to 75k + valvoline max life. idk if thats normal or what for this oil. but i do see a good benifit outta my engine's gas milage and how it drives on a daily basis. i still dont know how its buring though? maybe i should check the valve seals

Add your comment to this topic!