Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

E85

alero99
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
hey i was just wondering what the effects would be of using e85 in a uncompatible engine. I know it isnt good for it but im just wondering what it effects and if it is only over long time use? Me being a farmer i like to support the use of my own crops but none of my vehicles are compatible.

mechtech1
06-01-2006, 06:47 PM
If it ran at all it would probably run poorly. It takes far more ethanol than gasoline to produce the same amount of power. The computer might be able to throw in more fuel once it is running closed loop, but probably not enough to compensate for the much lower BTU content of the ethanol. In addition, it can be corrosive to fuel system parts that are not specifically designed to be used with it. Bottom line, it might be a fun experiment, but be prepared to walk for awhile afterwards.

Lee Richardson
Mech-Tech

alero99
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
haha...well a major reason i was asking was my mom filled her van up with it and THEN asked me if she was supposed to or not. Needless to say shes not. She ran the whole tank through and said it actually ran a lot better with it. So that got me wondering...

vamc
06-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I beleve that just about every car can handle 10% ethanal in there car. but make sure in the gas cover it sayes e-85.

Add your comment to this topic!