Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Motor Oil

RACER D12
06-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I’m doing my first oil change this weekend and I was just wondering what you guys are using for oil. Im going with either 15-50 Mobile 1 or Royal Purple 20-50... both synthetic of course. I have heard some really good things about Royal Purple but if its too exspensive then Ill just go with the Mobile1.

quteasabutton
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
i use quaker state. it has some numbers and letters on the top of the bottle too. idk..i just use w/e my daddy puts in my car. easy enough :) the only things i know how to do to my car is put gas in it, and put more windshield wiper and coolant in it. good luck with ur oil change.

TheStang00
06-01-2006, 12:12 PM
as far as the weight... look in your cars manual and see whats recommended. just because its a higher number doesnt mean its better. for example, the best oil for my car is 5w-30.

turtlecrxsi
06-01-2006, 12:48 PM
My NA 944 used Castrol 20w50. See what the manual says for your 951.

Polygon
06-01-2006, 01:34 PM
I use Mobile 1 it isn't that expensive and if it's good enough for Porsche to put in thier cars, it's good enough for me. Royal Purple and Redline are good brands but will run a little more than Mobile 1.

Igovert500
06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Polygon beat me to it, Redline and Royal Purple are great, but I usually end up with Mobil 1 synthetic due to availability and cost. 15w50 for me this season.

Mr. Luos
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Right now....
Havoline 5w-30 conventional oil in the T/A.
750 more miles and it gets Mobil 1 5w-30.

-The Stig-
06-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Right now....
Havoline 5w-30 conventional oil in the T/A.
750 more miles and it gets Mobil 1 5w-30.

Yep, and then you'll maybe slow down a bit more.:)

Mr. Luos
06-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I hope so.

Another mod...another tenth lost. :grinyes:

Mr Wiggl3s
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Yup Mobil 1, that Royal Purple is to expensive, and not aviliable easily

RACER D12
06-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Well I ended up going with the Royal Purple. I work at Land Rover so I was able to get a deal through them on either but what really made me go with Royal Purple is that I heard Mobil 1 causes leaks. This is the second time I heard of this. First on the Porsche forum rennlist and then from a guy at LR who says it gave his Mercedes leaks. I don’t know if this is true but I keep hearing about it and it makes me nervous. Some people claim that Mobil changed the formula and that’s why it’s not as good anymore :dunno:

quteasabutton
06-02-2006, 11:08 AM
so you all are saying royal purple is so expensive. just how expensive is it? and what makes it so good?

Polygon
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Well I ended up going with the Royal Purple. I work at Land Rover so I was able to get a deal through them on either but what really made me go with Royal Purple is that I heard Mobil 1 causes leaks. This is the second time I heard of this. First on the Porsche forum rennlist and then from a guy at LR who says it gave his Mercedes leaks. I don’t know if this is true but I keep hearing about it and it makes me nervous. Some people claim that Mobil changed the formula and that’s why it’s not as good anymore :dunno:

It's a load of bullcrap.

TheStang00
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
It's a load of bullcrap.

thats what i was thinkin to. i would think that leaks would cause mobil 1 to leak, not mobil 1

-The Stig-
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
thats what i was thinkin to. i would think that leaks would cause mobil 1 to leak, not mobil 1

it's said if you go from dino oil to synthetic, then go back to dino oil... then back to synthetic you can gain leaks.

Once you go synthetic, you've got to stay synthetic. Something to do with the chemical bondings in synthetic oil.

Igovert500
06-02-2006, 03:22 PM
^ i've read multiple times that that is now an urban myth. Years ago, it had some truth behind it, but now with reformed synthetic blends, not so much. It was somewhere in the General/technical section, if you want to check it out.

chevytrucks92
06-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, my new truck has whatever GM puts in vehicles off the assembly line (probably GM Goodwrench 5w-30). However, at around 3000 miles, its going to get Mobile 1 Truck & SUV 5w-30.

My old truck gets Valvoline MaxLife 10w-30.

And my race car gets Valvoline VR1 straight 50 weight racing oil.

vwracer14
06-03-2006, 12:08 AM
it's said if you go from dino oil to synthetic, then go back to dino oil... then back to synthetic you can gain leaks.

Once you go synthetic, you've got to stay synthetic. Something to do with the chemical bondings in synthetic oil.

im a true believer in that

its also not good for your pistons and rings or any rubber seal in your motor

befor we closed our shop down we would have customers put synthetic in one oil change (to gain hp and help the motor they said)then there next oil change they would bring it to us to fix what they messed up

Polygon
06-03-2006, 12:12 AM
im a true believer in that

its also not good for your pistons and rings or any rubber seal in your motor

befor we closed our shop down we would have customers put synthetic in one oil change (to gain hp and help the motor they said)then there next oil change they would bring it to us to fix what they messed up

I would love to see some proof of that. :rolleyes:

vwracer14
06-03-2006, 12:18 AM
i dont have any proof just my word..............but why dont you try and find out for yourself:naughty:

but seriously i have seen it a few times andi thought everyone knew not to switch between synthetic and regular oil.if you dont believe me sorry but i know i will never switch the two:2cents:

quteasabutton
06-03-2006, 12:50 AM
sorry if this is a really dumb question but...if we can make synthetic oil for cars, why can't we make synthetic gas? isn't oil derived from fossil fuels, so isn't it sorta like the same thing?

-The Stig-
06-03-2006, 02:28 AM
We do have synthetic gas in a way. It's call Biodiesel... and other such 'green' gases.

We can grow it... rather than pump it out of the ground.

Polygon
06-03-2006, 10:35 AM
i dont have any proof just my word..............but why dont you try and find out for yourself:naughty:

but seriously i have seen it a few times andi thought everyone knew not to switch between synthetic and regular oil.if you dont believe me sorry but i know i will never switch the two:2cents:

You're the one making a stupid claim; I shouldn't have to spend my day trying to find proof. Also, I have switched from conventional to synthetics in three cars and none of them developed leaks or problems. In fact all three ran smoother and got better gas mileage. The same can be said for anybody that I know that has switched.

Mr. Luos
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Personally, I wouldn't start running synthetics if the car has over 75,000 miles.
I also would not switch back after running synthetics.

Just me.

chevytrucks92
06-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Personally, I wouldn't start running synthetics if the car has over 75,000 miles.
I also would not switch back after running synthetics.

Just me.

Me niether. I've always heard synthetic oil would almost always make leaks show up on higher mileage vehicles that normally didn't leak with conventional oil.

I won't even switch between brands of oil after a vehicle has been started out on whatever brand, lol.

Mr. Luos
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
I have been switching oils like crazy in the T/A.
Started with the cheapest 5w-30 I could find. Used that for 5 changes. Once at 30 minutes, once at 100 miles, one at 250 miles, one more at 500 miles.
There was one change in there right after I was having the pushrod length issue.
Right now, it has Havoline 5w-30 conventional in it. It will for about another 500 miles, then on to Mobil 1 5w-30. May bump it up to Royal Purple, amsoil, or a higher priced synthetic after the first Mobil 1 change. Probably won't be worth it for me though as I tend to change the oil every 1000 miles or so on the T/A.

I started the Grand Am on Mobil 1 when it was 36,000 miles young. Never had anything but that since.

Polygon
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Me niether. I've always heard synthetic oil would almost always make leaks show up on higher mileage vehicles that normally didn't leak with conventional oil.

I won't even switch between brands of oil after a vehicle has been started out on whatever brand, lol.

That's a myth as well.

If the car would leak with synthetic it would leak with conventional. I switched to synthetic in a car with 148,000 miles on it with no leaks.

I can't believe you guys buy into that.

Mr. Luos
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Just because yours didn't leak doesn't mean the next guys won't. :wink:

I don't know if it is true or not. But after some of the horror stories I have heard about (I know, not the best proof either) I think I will stick to running synthetics early in the motors life.

Burnerdominator
06-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Well let me think i put in synthetic but my car already had a small leak and it didnt leak anymore or less. Though my mechancic said if i get a turbo or supercharged car to put Ams oil in it. luckiily a friend of my dad sponsors hobby stocks and he gets the shit for them for cheap so i will be using that.

chevytrucks92
06-05-2006, 09:22 PM
That's a myth as well.

If the car would leak with synthetic it would leak with conventional. I switched to synthetic in a car with 148,000 miles on it with no leaks.

I can't believe you guys buy into that.

Well like Mr. Lous, I dont really know what they will do for sure. I have zero experience with synthetic oil. I'm just going by what other people have said. I do know that I will be buying Mobile 1 Truck & SUV 5w-30 for my new truck at its frist oil change.

Now I do know changing brands of oil in a vehilce that has a lot of miles on it will cuase it to use oil. Or atleast it did in my Dad's truck.

Mr. Lous, have you ever considered running Valvoline VR1 racing oil? It only comes in two weights, 20w-50 and straight 50, but I believe its the best possible oil you can get for a high performance engine. We've always used it and the insides of our motors always look brand new and are never dirty, not even a little bit, lol.

Now I do change oil in my car about every 3 or 4 weekends, which would be way less then 1000 miles, lol, maybe more like 5 or 10 miles, lol, if that. But its good stuff and I know I treat my motor a lot worse then yours will ever be treated, lol.

-The Stig-
06-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I know I treat my motor a lot worse then yours will ever be treated, lol.

You hate your motor, admit it... it's a redheaded stepchild of a motor.:icon16:

SigmaProjects
06-06-2006, 02:59 AM
hey chevy, so this is where you are when you aren't on the MT forums :p

Polygon
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Just because yours didn't leak doesn't mean the next guys won't. :wink:

I don't know if it is true or not. But after some of the horror stories I have heard about (I know, not the best proof either) I think I will stick to running synthetics early in the motors life.

I know, I was just using it as an example. I need to find that article again that dispelled some myths about synthetic motor oil and that was one of them.

chevytrucks92
06-06-2006, 09:51 PM
You hate your motor, admit it... it's a redheaded stepchild of a motor.:icon16:

Lol. Well I certainly don't cut it any slack when I'm racing, lol. Now I dont set and rev it up like most people do when they first crank them up and when they get back from making a pass, or when they are supposedly adjusting on them, lol (apparently, holding an engine at WOT and constantly reving it while its settin in the pits makes them run better, lol), but I sure don't hold back on the race track, lol.

hey chevy, so this is where you are when you aren't on the MT forums :tongue:

Yes sir, lol. Not nearly as many garage/magazine racers found around these parts, lol.

I know, I was just using it as an example. I need to find that article again that dispelled some myths about synthetic motor oil and that was one of them.

Post a link or something if you do. I'd like to read it. And I'm not doubting you or anything like that, lol, I really would like to read it! Becuase like I say, I'll be using synthetic oil in my new truck.

SigmaProjects
06-06-2006, 11:06 PM
yep very true.

Add your comment to this topic!