Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sold Car Conflict

Jazzamatazz
05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, I saw a really nice Toyota solara on ebay a month ago and got all excited and went and bought it. However, after a month and a half, I realized that it was really too pimped out for me and I didn't like the care required to drive a lowered car.
So I decided to resell the item on ebay. I listed the item truthfully and noted all imperfections that I knew about (bumper damage, trunk lining missing, paint chips, etc.).
Surprisingly, the car sold really quickly and the buyer never came to check out the car before he bought it. Then he comes to pick up the car and I showed him all the flaws that I knew about, he signs the title, I have him sign a bill of sale, and he pays me.
After the drive home, he calls me and says that the car shakes bad on the highway, which I didn't know about (I never drove it at high speeds as I stayed in town). I tell him alright, I'll reimburse you for an alignment.

However, he brings it to the mechanic and now the mechanic is telling him that the radiator bar is bent, the starter flywheel is backwards, something is wrong with the alternator, and either the engine (engine is rusted on one side) or tranny was swapped out. Now, I truthfully never noticed any of these problems with the car. I feel bad, but at the same time I really don't want to refund the money and get the car back since it's already sold to him and everything.
Am I still liable for the car even though he signed the title, payed for the car, and signed the bill of sale (which states that the car was sold as is)?

Sorry for the long post but I really need to know asap.
Thanks,
Craig

LoJo
05-31-2006, 09:27 PM
i'm not an expert but i would say no you sold the car and mentioned the imperfections he made the deal carelessly its his problem

CraigFL
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
I think the car is his --- "as is". You were nice to offer the alignment but the real situation here is that the buyer bought the car without having it checked out. If you want to see much more on this kind of thing, check out:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jspa?forumID=20&start=0

Andydg
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
His problem not your's. I've been in his situation before and although I was pretty pissed I knew there was nothing I could really do about it, it was my own fault for not taking my old DSM out on high speed turns when I test drove it to hear how the wheel bearings where.

Add your comment to this topic!