Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Corsica dies in drive or reverse.

tjg63
05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Have a 3.1 Corsica. It idles in park ok, but once I put in gear it dies. I did get it to go in drive once. I drove for a block and could not drive over 10 miles per hour despite pushing further on the gas. It also wanted to die out so had to pull over. Any ideas what the problem might be? Any easy fix ideas to keep running for few miles in stop and go traffic, so I can bring to repair shop.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

jsgold
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Does it run OK in park, and neutral? Does it run OK when cold, then act up while driving? Might be TCC solenoid, will cause car to stall in gear when it warms up. Usually won't let you put in gear until it has cooled or you jerk the car into gear at high rpm, which is bad. Also, while driving, car feels like it is stuck in high gear, jerks, shakes at low speeds. If this sounds like your problems, try unhooking a 4-prong plug on top of your transaxle. On my 91 it sits under the air cleaner box, as it is a 6 cyl. Either way, 4 or 6 cyl it is on top of the transaxle, and always a 4 prong plug. Unplug it and see if that helps. you loose some gas mpg, but very small amount. If this works you can either drive as is, or spend about 150-200 bucks to get it fixed at a tranny shop.

tjg63
05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
I have had the problem you are talking about on this car. I did disconect that wire and problem was solved. So I do not think that is the problem. Thanks for your help anyway.

jsgold
05-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, if it a running condition, I assume it does not run OK in park? Does it miss? Just not taking gas? Has the check engine light ever come on? Might describe the running condition some more so more suggetions can be tried...
These cars are usually not real hard to diagnose. Maybe you can save a trip to the repairman. EGR valve, MAP sensor, ignition module failing, plugged fuel filter can cause stalling. Might be all you need to get is a code reader and a Haynes manual to do it yourself. Does the car run OK for a while, then acr up? Describe symptoms in more detail please.

tjg63
05-31-2006, 11:15 PM
This is a condition that has just happened suddenly. No check engine light or anything. It runs ok in park (meaning it will NOT die, even if you give it gas). In drive or reverse all I have to do is put it in gear and will die. What was strange was when I did get it to go there was a total lack of performance. I could not go more that 10 mph and it also wanted to die out. Hope that explains it a little better.

bellguy24
06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
It does sound like the TCC is permanently engaged, even though you said you disconnected the plug. When you drop it into gear, the torque converter is locked to the transmission. (like starting in 3rd gear)

FYI when I disconnected mine I did it from the switch on the brake pedal.(not the brake light connector,there's two)

niccaleb112602
06-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Check you rubber air duct work going from the mass air flow sensor and your throttle body. I've seen allot of them be torn and only breaking open when motor shifts into rev or drive. it overwhelms the engine with unmetered air and can't adjust for it then runs lean and dies.

jsgold
06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
That is a good idea. Ours was tearing up and we had to replace it about two years ago. Did cause some problems as I remember. best to buy at a junkyard if that is the problem or part of it, as new ones are horribly expensive to buy. Tried to patch it but could not fix it properly.

Kwazy
07-03-2006, 05:39 PM
I know what it is, because it happened to me also. It's the lock on the alternator, they just took it off and it's been running find. If it's the same problem it occurs only after you go at least 40mph, like off the highway mine would do the same thing. they just charge me for the labor, it was like $25 or so.

Fierc3 Kid
07-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Ok, well, I have a 90 Corsica V6, fully loaded I think, and I have the TCC disconnected, just yesterday, the car did something like you mentioned ( I pulled into some ones drive way to run around, put it in reverse, and it died, started it back up, and it died again in drive at the stop sign).

I know my rubber hose from the filter box to the throttle body is torn, and some times my CEL comes on. and i plan on fixing them soon, but can there be any other reason to why the car is dying?

Oh, and does anyone what the V6 model runs in a 1/4 mile? I always wanted to know.

Add your comment to this topic!