How much load on a cig lighter?

Alibi
05-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Hello. I've been working on this idea for a while now and what I'm wanting to do is wire in my CB radio and radar detector into the circuit for the cigarette lighter (with their own in-line fuses and a switch to shut the circuit off). This would leave my actual cig lighter port open for my phone charger or a map light or whatever else I would want.

Ultimately, would this circuit take the load of a CB radio, radar detector, and one other small item at once? Or would I be better off to wire these items into another circuit and if so, which one?

I doubt I would ever have my CB, radar, and something on the cig lighter at once, but I think that the cb and radar det. would be left on quite a bit....

corning_d3
05-31-2006, 02:23 AM
I think that may be too much. A CB, radar det. and possibly a cigarette lighter all at once is gonna heat up those 16 ga. wires fast, plus blow the fuse(DON'T use a higher amp fuse!). Plus there may be other things running off the gig. lighter circuit already. I'd hook the detector and CB up on an accessory outlet somewhere under the hood. There may be a spot in the underhood fuse box.

Alibi
05-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured more than one at once would be pushing it. Any suggestions for a different circuit to wire them into?

corning_d3
05-31-2006, 11:03 PM
What year was it made?

Add your comment to this topic!