Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

belt squeelin and low top speed

86_p_o_s
05-31-2006, 02:04 AM
when i first start my truck the belts squeel but if i rev it up to about 2500rpm they stop and wont squeel anymore until i start it up again and my truck only has a top speed of about 85 on level road and 70 up hill what can i do to get more balls

hocbj23
05-31-2006, 06:05 AM
If belts are old and worn they have a glaze on them.replace them or clean with something like BonAmi and water.They may be loose when cold and tighten up when warm, u have an idler pulley that is used to adjust belt tension so tighten it a bit. If ur truck will do 85 on level ground and it is stock then offer up a "Thank you" prayer to the truck gods.Lol.BJ

Cusser
05-31-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd change to new Gates brand belts, and install with correct tension, likely you have glazed belts like hoc stated. And same as what hoc said, if you can get to 85 you're doing great, especially if yours is an 86 (B2000).

hocbj23
05-31-2006, 03:19 PM
if u realyy want a FEW and I do mean few extra mph, set ur timing up about 2 degrees ,run 89 or 91 octane gas , put oneheat range hotter plugs in ur truck and u might pick up a few extra mph. Probably not woth the extra costs though. BJ

papiichuulo
06-01-2006, 09:06 PM
what's up yall? I had an '86 B2000 5-speed. It had two gutted cats (non emission county) and a glass-pack for a muffler. My buddy gave me a stock carb. off his 2200 that was supposedly jetted. I ran my truck to 100mph+ practically every weekend chasing the sport compacts I used to run with. Just some food for thought, L8RS!!

hocbj23
06-02-2006, 06:16 AM
U R right about the catalytic converters (precat and cat) on Mazda b series trucks. They are very restrictive and the stock carb is equally a no-go-fast piece.However there are those of us in emissions testing country that have to have our trucks checked annually and the only solution for that is rig up a by pass for use during the rest of the year and put the stock stuff back on at test time.Pain in the butt. Lol. BJ

Add your comment to this topic!