Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 buick regal fuel gage

jerry1967
05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
the fuel gage in my buick regal keeps fluttering so i do not know how much gas i have. what would cause this problem?

BNaylor
05-30-2006, 08:34 PM
The most common cause is a defective fuel level sending unit and float. Here is the fuel pump pod and level unit out of my '99 Regal LS. After running out of gas due to the bad gauge reading I replaced only the level sensor and now it is good to go. 1 hour job done DIY.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/fuelsender.jpg

jerry1967
05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
The most common cause is a defective fuel level sending unit and float. Here is the fuel pump pod and level unit out of my '99 Regal LS. After running out of gas due to the bad gauge reading I replaced only the level sensor and now it is good to go. 1 hour job done DIY.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/fuelsender.jpg
is this a hard job? can you give me a idea how to changed the level sensor? where is the sensor located?

BNaylor
05-30-2006, 10:29 PM
The fuel pump pod is easy to access by removing the carpeting and sound deadening material from behind the rear passenger seat in the trunk area. Open the rear seat panel.

There is an access cover with 7 nuts holding the cover to the trunk floor. Once removed you will see the top of the fuel pump assembly where it mounts into the gas tank. Use a shop vac and clean because it will be very dirty. Undo two electrical connectors and fuel pressure, return, and one evaporative emissions line. There is a big c-clip that needs to be removed. Once c-clip is removed the complete fuel pump pod will remove by pulling up and rocking a little side to side. Once fuel pump pod is out you can replace just the level sensor which is the part you see at the bottom of the fuel pump pod in the pic. The sensor runs anywheres from $75 to $140 depending on where you purchase it. GMPartsDirect.com or the dealer, etc. Or you have the option of changing out the complete fuel pump pod in its entirety but it will be more expensive. New fuel pump assemblies will have the level sensor.

jerry1967
05-31-2006, 06:17 AM
thank you ,i will give it a try and let you know how i did.

BNaylor
05-31-2006, 06:46 AM
thank you ,i will give it a try and let you know how i did.

If you decide to replace only the sending unit the GM/AC Delco part number is:

25317742 or 89060197 - Fuel Tank Meter Sender/Sensor Kit

Good luck!

jerry1967
08-21-2006, 10:58 AM
is that c clamp a o clamp that fits over the top of the sending unit? if it is how do it get it over all the connections that are disconnted from the lines? the clamp which fits all the way around the unit will not come out of the hole. the hole is to small.

BNaylor
08-21-2006, 11:31 AM
is that c clamp a o clamp that fits over the top of the sending unit? if it is how do it get it over all the connections that are disconnted from the lines? the clamp which fits all the way around the unit will not come out of the hole. the hole is to small.

Yes, it is a c-clamp, c-clip or snap ring that fits over the fuel pump pod to keep it secured in the gas tank opening. First thing you do is remove the two electrical connectors and the three fuel/evaporative emissions lines. The opening (C) the clamp has will allow you to remove it. Use a flat blade screwdriver and pry the clamp at the ends where you see the holes inward. It is made so you can use a snap ring pliers to get it off the retainers you see on the gas tank. Since it may be dirty in there use a shop vac and proper lighting so you can see better and how the clamp is secured.

jerry1967
08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
ok thank you i got it but it was a big o ring. I just keep playing with it until I got it. Now you say I can replace the sensor only?

BNaylor
08-21-2006, 02:35 PM
ok thank you i got it but it was a big o ring. I just keep playing with it until I got it. Now you say I can replace the sensor only?

That is correct. You can get the sending unit as a kit without buying the whole fuel pump assembly.

2000 Buick Regal LS - AC Delco part # SK1051, Sensor Kit Fuel Level,
GM part # 89060197, GM List $160. GMPartsDirect.com - $83.20.

If you need a reliable and reasonable GM parts source let me know via PM.

jerry1967
08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I found a used sensor from a 98 supercharger can I use it? It does't look and different from the original.

BNaylor
08-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I found a used sensor from a 98 supercharger can I use it? It does't look and different from the original.

I would be reluctant to use a fuel level sending unit from a GS model. The resistance values produced by the sensor may be different so the fuel gauge may read OK but possibly be in error versus what is actually in the tank. The part number for a unit in a '98 Regal GS is SK1091 and does not match the one for your 2000 Regal LS.

jerry1967
08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
ok thank you, i will put the new one in. i went to the dealer and got one. wow they are not cheap. next time i am going to go through the site you gave me.

jerry1967
08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
when i take the fuel line off that goes into the pump, gas shoots out all over. what am supposed to do so this will not happen?

BNaylor
08-23-2006, 05:01 PM
when i take the fuel line off that goes into the pump, gas shoots out all over. what am supposed to do so this will not happen?

You can pull the fuel pump relay or fuse while car is running and let the fuel run out that way to relieve pressure or carefully relieve pressure at the Schrader valve located on the fuel pressure regulator. When you pull the fuel pump pod try hard not to tilt it because there will be gas in there. Good luck!

jerry1967
08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Schrader valve located on the fuel pressure regulator

ok I am new to this-what is a schrader valve and what is the pressure regulator?

I have gas all over so i am a little afraid to start the car right now. any other ideas?

jerry1967
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
I got everthing back together but i keep getting the "service engine light". thanks for your help.

zayxdf21
05-13-2007, 09:34 AM
excellent info

Add your comment to this topic!