Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor

BostonKev
05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Good afternoon all, one of my 97pi's has a blower motor with the habit of not liking to work regularly unless you pop the hood and give her a little nudge with something like a tire iron. I actually have another blower assembly laying around oddly enough but was curious if anyone has a suggestions on saving this one. I really can't fault the car too much since she tends to sit for weeks at a time. Thank you

wgbtucson
05-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I am not familiar with the particular motor. But, you may be able to rotate the entire motor 180 degrees. The weight of the motor sitting on the bearings and or rubber resiliant mount, depending on what kind of bearing, may have caused a sagging effect and causes binding, By rotating the motor you will have the weight on a new section of the bearing or mount. Also a drop of household oil on the bearing couldn't hurt.

way2old
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
remove the blower motor and spray with a quality lubricant into the motor windings. Spin the motor by hand as you are doing this. Could just be a little rust on the windings. Previous poster has good ideas, but the blower motor will not bolt up if turned 180 degrees. Good luck

BostonKev
05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
great idea. I guess if i am going to take it out i will switch it out and save the old one as a back up. Thank you

jabhawk
06-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Just a suggestion. If you have a moment take some digital pictues of the unit as you replace it and post them back here. The chilton manuals and others do not have good visuals of the blower installation.

I need to do a similar fix and would be much appreciated of good visuals of the correct installation. I am a first timer to auto repair and restoration and am building a compilation of repair and upgrade documentation for the Crown Vic.

Jon
jonblack@optonline.net

radioman2002
06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
It is really a simple procedure, the most problem you will have is the power connector. They have a habbit of rusting, and the pins get stuck together, so much so I have in the past just cut the wires. Then gotten another connector from a junkyard and rewired. The actuall removal is only 4, 5/16 sheet metal screws. I use a 1/4 drive socket set with universal joint for the bottom screws. You can push the plastic fender skirt down out of the way.

Add your comment to this topic!