Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sizzlin fuel pump?

denisew
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I've done a previous search, and cannot find anything similar to this sound I'm hearing from my fuel pump. When I turn the key, I expect to hear the usual groan from the pump. Today, I hear this "sizzling" sound, and the truck will not start. It's got plenty of power and over a half tank of gas. while waiting for my husband to get home, I've looked to see if I can find the fuse, relay, anything to check off before blaming the fuel pump. (After the whole tranny repair, he's ready to drive my truck off a cliff!) Anyway, there are no fuses behind the glovebox, I cannot locate the RED test lead, supposedly on the drivers side fenderwell, and there are 2 relays on the pass side firewall that I've spotted so far. I don't know which is for what. I did happen to find the pressure test valve, on the back of the intake, though. But is any of this going to matter, if I'm hearing a crackling/sizzling sound coming from under the drivers side rear door area? Does anyone know what this could be?

dmbrisket 51
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
weak/bad pumps will make a sizzleing sound... but you need to check fuel pressure b4 condeming the pump

mike2004tct
05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
weak/bad pumps will make a sizzleing sound... but you need to check fuel pressure b4 condeming the pump

I agree. If you hear noise under the left rear door, that's the pump, meaning power is getting there and all fuses and relays are operating.
Check the pressure, but I'm guessing the pump is on it's way out.

Edit,

Your post said under the driver's door, so check and see if you have a puddle of gas under the door. If so, your fuel filter or the hoses to it may have sprung a leak.

MT-2500
05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I've done a previous search, and cannot find anything similar to this sound I'm hearing from my fuel pump. When I turn the key, I expect to hear the usual groan from the pump. Today, I hear this "sizzling" sound, and the truck will not start. It's got plenty of power and over a half tank of gas. while waiting for my husband to get home, I've looked to see if I can find the fuse, relay, anything to check off before blaming the fuel pump. (After the whole tranny repair, he's ready to drive my truck off a cliff!) Anyway, there are no fuses behind the glovebox, I cannot locate the RED test lead, supposedly on the drivers side fenderwell, and there are 2 relays on the pass side firewall that I've spotted so far. I don't know which is for what. I did happen to find the pressure test valve, on the back of the intake, though. But is any of this going to matter, if I'm hearing a crackling/sizzling sound coming from under the drivers side rear door area? Does anyone know what this could be?

That does not sound good.
If it is comming from the fuel tank better have a look in there.
Before pulling the tank check fuel pressure and all wiring and plugins going to fuel pump and for 12 volt and ground to fuel pump.
MT

Blazer SS
05-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Question. Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Have you checked the fuel pump ground on the top of the gas tank? Make sure that your fuel lines are not crushed from the repair of your trans. The pump might be overworking, and about to give out.

denisew
05-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi everybody,
Thanks for your opinions and new questions. Yes, the fuel filter was just changed about 6 mo. ago,no leaks, the tranny was rebuilt on Nov.05, also no problems there. We went out this morning and took a look at it. Seems it was arching at the coil, which explains the no start. He was able to see it easily, since it was still a little dark out this morning. We had rain yesterday, and overnight, so this morning was the first chance to get a good look at it. My husband dried off the cap, tightened things down, and it started right up. It is still making that weird, shorting wire noise, from underneath, but at least now, if we can't find the problem, we can drive it to the mech. shop. Seems to stop and start the noise if I move the sleeve that contains wires to the rear brakes, just underneath the drivers side doors. Are the fuel pump wires in there with the brake wires? Haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, we ran out of time this morning, the hubby had to leave for work. Hopefully, we can get on it again when he gets home.

MT-2500
05-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi everybody,
Thanks for your opinions and new questions. Yes, the fuel filter was just changed about 6 mo. ago,no leaks, the tranny was rebuilt on Nov.05, also no problems there. We went out this morning and took a look at it. Seems it was arching at the coil, which explains the no start. He was able to see it easily, since it was still a little dark out this morning. We had rain yesterday, and overnight, so this morning was the first chance to get a good look at it. My husband dried off the cap, tightened things down, and it started right up. It is still making that weird, shorting wire noise, from underneath, but at least now, if we can't find the problem, we can drive it to the mech. shop. Seems to stop and start the noise if I move the sleeve that contains wires to the rear brakes, just underneath the drivers side doors. Are the fuel pump wires in there with the brake wires? Haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, we ran out of time this morning, the hubby had to leave for work. Hopefully, we can get on it again when he gets home.

You found the sore spot when you move the sleeve.
Have a good look at the wiring there. Look for a wiring plug in that area.
Also sparking jumpping out of coil needs to be fixed fast.
You may need wires and cap and rotor.
Only a slight chance but make sure the spark junmpping at the coil is not travling down and jumpping out the fuel pump wiring ot wire that you are moving underneeth.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!