Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 blazer hood stuck

jasonjsl
05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
i have a 96 blazer and the release cable is not attached to the latch...the hood is latched down tight. i poked around with some screwdrivers for a while but had no luck. As for the "banging" on the hood method mentioned in other threads, i normally have to do this with my cable hooked up but for now the cable isnt hooked up and i need to get it open.......any ideas?

thadrawr
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
my release cable isnt attached to the latch anymore on my jimmy so i use my leathermen to pull the cable or just a pair of pliers will work hope that helps some

OverBoardProject
05-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I usually use a long screwdriver, which I press against the loop that the cable pulls on. Then I hit the end of the screwdriver with my palm.
You might want to use a wooden or rubber hammer.

I've never had a hood not open using this method

jasonjsl
05-30-2006, 07:05 PM
ok wise guy.....the cable isnt attached to the LATCH...so how would pulling the cabe with pliers do any good........i appreciate the half assed effort to help me but next time try reading AND comprehending the thread. thanks moron.

as for the other guy.......where would woul i put the screwdriver.....i have poked around with a large screwdriver and cant seem to find the "sweetspot" to open her up. ive gone as far as unbolting the hood itself but turned out not to do the trick.....any other ideas?

blazee
05-30-2006, 07:17 PM
ok wise guy.....the cable isnt attached to the LATCH...so how would pulling the cabe with pliers do any good........i appreciate the half assed effort to help me but next time try reading AND comprehending the thread. thanks moron.

as for the other guy.......where would woul i put the screwdriver.....i have poked around with a large screwdriver and cant seem to find the "sweetspot" to open her up. ive gone as far as unbolting the hood itself but turned out not to do the trick.....any other ideas?

If you'd like to remain a member of this forum, you should try reading and comprehending the forum guidelines (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html). Especially, this part:

DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER
Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.

OverBoardProject
05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
thadrawr probably knows what to grab with the pliars, allowing him to open a hood using his leatherman.

Sorry to say my camara is in the shop for a week or so I can't take a picture of what I push the screwdriver against. I hope that someone else can.

It's really an easy job if you take the time to look before anything goes wrong.

The first thing that I would do when you get the hood open is oil evert moving part with a spray in lube. Not WD-40

A forums moderator is basicly the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, so Blazee is just doing his job.
In all reality your better off to have him give you a warning than upset any of the people that regulary help others on this forum.
That's when he has no choice but to send out a universal warning, and just deletes the thread

joeuser742
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
When my hood got stuck, I kept going back and forth a few times till it opened; pulled the release lever, then pounded on the hood right above the latch, then repeat. After I got sick of doing that everytime I opened the hood, I just used some grease and put it in between the moving parts. Now it works great. I think the rust was stopping it from releasing.

jasonjsl
05-31-2006, 06:13 PM
i appreciate al of the help but still no luck...seems like half of the people dont want to actually read the thread before having a solution. please dont try to help if you have any idea what is going on. please help!!! my washer fluid is out!!

OverBoardProject
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Do you have a digital camara?
If so snap a photo from the best angle under the grill (or multiple angles even) and even e-mail them to me.

If I can figure it out I'll draw an arrow pointing to what you want to push on, and mail it back.

And if I can't figure it out I'll post the picture for you on this thread, and give the others a chance to look.

If this sounds good to you I'll send you a private message with my e-mail address, or you can look in my web site, under my profile for a link to it
Make sure that you fill in the subject, or it'll be auto blocked

jasonjsl
06-03-2006, 02:16 PM
i dont have access to a cam right now......but hood is still stuck closed and its bout time for an oil change.....please help!!

Markgc
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Do you have a digital camara?
If so snap a photo from the best angle under the grill (or multiple angles even) and even e-mail them to me.

I have an 89 that I can take a look at but I don't know if it the same

I guess you have to get at the latch from below and throught the grill right?

OverBoardProject
06-03-2006, 07:17 PM
That's where you look With every s10 that I've seen. It's just to the right of the middle, and you'll see your cable end going there

jasonjsl
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
That's where you look With every s10 that I've seen. It's just to the right of the middle, and you'll see your cable end going there
yeah i see the cable......now what?

jasonjsl
06-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I have an 89 that I can take a look at but I don't know if it the same

I guess you have to get at the latch from below and throught the grill right?
no....you can only see radiator through the grill.....ive peeked through between the hoodd and the grill and can see the hood spring and the secondary latch...not really anything else.

OverBoardProject
06-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Allthat really matrers is where you see the cable hooked to the latch.
Take your longest screw driver and put it in the clip that holds the cable end (from the passanger side)
Try getting a good grip on it, and hit the end of the screwdriver with your hand (pushing that clip as close to the direction that the cable would pull it as you can) It should pop open, and if it doesn't you'll need a bar and a hammer for more force.
You might have better luck if someone is also gentaly lifting up on the hood.

As soon as you get it open oil every moving part on the hood catch and the spring as well

jasonjsl
06-11-2006, 10:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 96 blazer and the release cable is not attached to the latch...the hood is latched down tight. i poked around with some screwdrivers for a while but had no luck. As for the "banging" on the hood method mentioned in other threads, i normally have to do this with my cable hooked up but for now the cable isnt hooked up and i need to get it open.......any ideas?

kahjdh
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
It still pops up right? if so i think the release is spring loaded so try one of those little 90degree screw drivers( the ones the are like a Z with flat head on one end and philips ont the other) and try to snake it in there to catch that plate and push it in. I have never seen this happen so good luck.

jasonjsl
06-11-2006, 10:36 PM
It still pops up right? if so i think the release is spring loaded so try one of those little 90degree screw drivers( the ones the are like a Z with flat head on one end and philips ont the other) and try to snake it in there to catch that plate and push it in. I have never seen this happen so good luck.
no.....the hood does not pop up at all

OverBoardProject
06-12-2006, 01:50 AM
jason, I really don't think that you'll get any different answers than you got on the S10 board. Why not ask in the off topic section if someone there can give you a hand popping it. There might just be someone living close to you that can give you a hand (you'll have to state the closest decent sized city)
here's the link to where I would ask for the help.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=715
I don't know what sub catogory you should ask in

jasonjsl
06-12-2006, 09:17 PM
ok folks!! attention....... the CABLE isnt hooked to the LATCH!!!now what?
Allthat really matrers is where you see the cable hooked to the latch.
Take your longest screw driver and put it in the clip that holds the cable end (from the passanger side)
Try getting a good grip on it, and hit the end of the screwdriver with your hand (pushing that clip as close to the direction that the cable would pull it as you can) It should pop open, and if it doesn't you'll need a bar and a hammer for more force.
You might have better luck if someone is also gentaly lifting up on the hood.

As soon as you get it open oil every moving part on the hood catch and the spring as well

Markgc
06-13-2006, 07:07 AM
If it was me I would go and look at a similar Blazer which has the hood open and figure out a way to get at that catch either throught the grill or from below and up. You may have to make some long bar or other device to be able to hit that latch. A long bar with a bent screwdriver clamped to it or something like that. Looking at the open engine bay may help you to figure out what you need to do.

Mark

blazee
06-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Try pulling the lever and then bumping the hood with your hand. If that doesn't work, pull the cable with a pair of .................

:lol: I kid I kid

The way the latch is designed is going to make it nearly impossible to release the hood. All the working parts are on the back side of the latch and sheilded pretty well from access by the front. See pic below:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1525/c1323019qv.jpg

Your best bet would probably be to remove the two latch mounting bolts located in the front and in plain view through the crack of the hood. With those removed, you'll be able to raise the hood with the latch still attached, allowing you total access to the latch.

jasonjsl
06-13-2006, 04:53 PM
THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!! you are funny....hey thanks for the pic....i think that was my last resort but wasnt sure if those bolts would release the hood.(it would be a pain to have to put them back in if they arnt the right ones) thanks again man....ill let you know this weekend!Try pulling the lever and then bumping the hood with your hand. If that doesn't work, pull the cable with a pair of .................

:lol: I kid I kid

The way the latch is designed is going to make it nearly impossible to release the hood. All the working parts are on the back side of the latch and sheilded pretty well from access by the front. See pic below:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1525/c1323019qv.jpg

Your best bet would probably be to remove the two latch mounting bolts located in the front and in plain view through the crack of the hood. With those removed, you'll be able to raise the hood with the latch still attached, allowing you total access to the latch.

Add your comment to this topic!