Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Disconnected Alarm... now car wont turn over.. Starter?

The1NamedMarc
05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I had disconnected the alarm from my 90 camry and now the car wont turn over. When the key is switched into the "on" position, there are several clicks from inside the engine bay. One sounds like it comes from the fuse box and immediately following that is two quick clicks from the starter.

Did I somehow ruin the starter when reconfiguring the wires from the alarm?

All help is appreciated.

popeye08
05-29-2006, 03:45 PM
What you have done is just like what a thief supposed to do. I don't think it will ruin your wire, but you'd better find a dealer to get rid of it. Did you try to connect the alarm and try it again?

AccordCodger
05-29-2006, 03:45 PM
No, you wouldn't have wrecked the starter. What you MIGHT have done is not overriden the immobilizer function of the alarm.

I have no idea how to fix that. Why did you disconnect the alarm?

The1NamedMarc
05-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I totally got rid of the alarm and returned it to stock form. (There is no longer a "brain" or wires connected to the vehicle) The alarm was no longer functioning properly and would just go off randomly.

InstallTech
05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd make sure you have your starter wires from the ignition switch wired together properly...(ie. solid connection). If you don't have a solid connection, then a solid signal can't reach the starter. That is assuming, of course, that you had a "starter kill" wired in with the alarm. If that doesn't work, did you try to jump start it? Seriously. No insult intended at all, but it sounds symptomatic of a low battery or bad connections at the battery. Just covering all the bases.

The1NamedMarc
05-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Here is what the drivers side kick panel now looks like...

http://xtreme3kgt.com/upload/files/4/Drivers%20Side%20Wires.JPG

This picture was taken behind the steering column...

http://xtreme3kgt.com/upload/files/4/Under%20Steering%20Column.JPG

The1NamedMarc
05-29-2006, 08:52 PM
InstallTech; I'll try your suggestions tomorrow, but everything with the battery should be fine. (All the accessories work perfectly)

When I was reconnecting the wires, I made the mistake of putting a piece (circled below as "added this") to the starter/accessory wires. (It was a looping black/white plug) Once I started the car, it defintely sounded like something blew.

I didn't realize that the black/white and black/yellow wires were supposed to be left alone on a stock car....

http://xtreme3kgt.com/upload/files/4/black%20wires.JPG

InstallTech
05-29-2006, 08:55 PM
If it sounded like something blew, disconnect that connector, check all of your fuses, and try to start the car again. Electrical problems are *really* hard to diagnose without having the car around to put a meter on.

The1NamedMarc
05-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I'll check all the fuses now but why do I still hear all the clicking sounds? Wouldn't those be non-existant if there was an electrical problem?

EDIT: I just finished checking all the fuses on the drivers kick panel and engine. Also, I made sure all the wires were connected properly.... still nothing.

There's no way an electrical problem could ruin the starter?

RIP
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Are you getting a constant 12 VDC at the small connector on the starter when you hold the key to start? If so, you know what to do. If not, go backwards in the start system (starter relay, neutral/start switch, ignition switch, battery) till you find 12 VDC and go from there. If you already did, pardon me for stating the obvious.

The1NamedMarc
05-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Problem solved... thanks for everyone's help!

InstallTech
05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Great to hear. What was the deal?

The1NamedMarc
05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Great to hear. What was the deal?

I'm not even sure; What I did was put everything back except for the cut wires and the ignition plug. Started right up and hasn't caused any problems. It's a shame I didn't think of that first cause it would've been quite easy to just switch the ignition plugs... :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!