Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fraud?

jgilhuly
05-29-2006, 01:42 PM
While the dealer was running numbers on my trade in, I found a window sticker for the used van I was looking at in the glovebox. It was for the same VIN, different dealer, $900 less, and 19,000 more miles!

I called him on it and soon enough had the Sales Mgr and GM harping at me about clerical errors, not their fault, their integrity, Carfax (I had already run one with the only reported mileage being the 6 delivery miles--it changed hands twice since then with no mileage reported) and how I'd own the dealership if they were caught rolling back, blah, blah. I told them to stick it and I left.

Where do I go with this?

SLJ2137694
05-29-2006, 02:28 PM
IF the mileage has been rolled back, don't assume the current dealer did it. Usually mileage has to be recorded on the title and that can be investigated by the state motor vehicle department.

jgilhuly
05-29-2006, 03:55 PM
I understand it might not have been that dealer's doing, and I can even believe that it really was a clerical error at the former dealer that caused it, but I figure their stupidity in leaving another dealer's sticker with a $900 lower price and a mileage discrepancy on it in the glovebox is enough reason to walk. I didn't even feel comfortable demanding we use the other dealer's asking price as a starting point.

Incidentally, the Carfax report only shows the original 6 miles at delivery (it went to a rental agency). Subsequent transactions to the previous dealer and then to this one show no mileage whatsoever. Do such transactions usually go without a mileage report or does this rental-to-dealer-to-dealer stuff go on without the DMV getting involved?

Add your comment to this topic!