Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Proportioning Valve

Cruize
05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
If my ABS is not working at all, does that have any impact on the brake proportioning valve not working?

When I hit the brakes suddenly on a wet road, the rear wheels locked up and the back end slid out to the side. The rain had already stopped and the fronts didn't lock at all.

MT-2500
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
If my ABS is not working at all, does that have any impact on the brake proportioning valve not working?

When I hit the brakes suddenly on a wet road, the rear wheels locked up and the back end slid out to the side. The rain had already stopped and the fronts didn't lock at all.

What/which proportioning valve are you asking about?
Better have a look at the ABS brakes.
What year and 2 or 4 wheel drive and rear antilock or 4 wheel abs? Any lights on?
MT

Cruize
05-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, I didn't know there was more than one brake proportioning valve. I guess I'll have to do some research.

I was thinking of the one between front and rear brakes.

I have a '95, 4x4, w/ 4 wheel ABS. Yes, the ABS dashboard light is on. The garage said one of the solenoid valves / pumps (?) hangs up. If you tap it with a hammer, it will free itself, work for a bit, and then hang up again.

I'm thinking of taking a trip to some junkyards in search of a module assembly with valves / pumps.

MT-2500
05-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Well, I didn't know there was more than one brake proportioning valve. I guess I'll have to do some research.

I was thinking of the one between front and rear brakes.

I have a '95, 4x4, w/ 4 wheel ABS. Yes, the ABS dashboard light is on. The garage said one of the solenoid valves / pumps (?) hangs up. If you tap it with a hammer, it will free itself, work for a bit, and then hang up again.

I'm thinking of taking a trip to some junkyards in search of a module assembly with valves / pumps.

I only see a conbination valve on it.
Have you got a VCM or PCM computer on it?
Have you had the system open or got air in it?
A scsnner is required to bleed most of them.
If the ABS light is on you need to get the code no.
Also a ABS capable scanner is required to get codes.
Post back code no.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!