Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

alright, i need help :(

dmbrisket 51
05-28-2006, 12:49 AM
ok, so with my swap i had to use a set of 88 trans-am/camaro manifolds... the problem with these is that they are designed for the plug wires to go under and to the back of the moter b4 commen up to the cap, i did a 98 moter using the new style wires, ment to come up over the valve covers, and im melting wires because of them being to close to the manifolds, so...
so im looken to update to Headders and i found a set made by headman,
summet part numbers
HED-69520, 69528, and 69526
i was told these are only ment for up to 97 moters and non vortex. is there any reason i cannot make these work? this isn't/doesn't need to be smog legal, i just dont wanna buy them to find out they are way in left feild and there is no way of moddifying them to maken them work then haven a set of 400 doller headers collecting dust

OverBoardProject
05-28-2006, 02:03 AM
The Hedmen web site sayes that they're good for the 82 - 00 model years. It lists small blocks between 283 - 400

Must use Trans-Dapt Performance motor mount kit #9906.

You might have to run a floor shifter with them

Standard transmissions won't work with these headers.
The S10's are listed about 1/2 way down this page
http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedmanmain.html

Hedman also has a good reputation for their customer service.
Here's their contact info
http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedmanmain.html

I hope that answers all your questions Doug, and have fun with that.

dmbrisket 51
05-28-2006, 02:22 AM
thanks stu, i never though of checking with headman direct, but they have the info i need, and now its time to do that floor shift mod, because colum shift wont cut it by the looks of it

OverBoardProject
05-28-2006, 02:25 AM
No prob Doug,

Wish that I could have been there to help you out in person. I'd like to do a V8 swap in a S10, although a Diesel swap is the next mod on my list.

dmbrisket 51
05-28-2006, 03:13 AM
a d swap would be interesting and fun, a v8 d wouldn't be as fast, but would make it through anything you put it to, as long as the frame don't bottum

OverBoardProject
05-28-2006, 03:24 AM
I'm waiting for some info about a mercedes conversion kit using a stock Chevy transmissing (I would imagine from a small block) and a Mercedes 300D motor.

I found a low mileage 300D motor for $700.00 canadian, so if the kit looks good and affordable I'll be starting the swap pretty soon.

That powerplant shouldn't weigh too much more than yours, so I don't think that I'll have to beef up the suspension, although I might have to cran the torsion bars up a little.

I'd like to do a how to on that swap if everything works out.

The alternative is a full sized diesel swap, but I understand that Chevy had nothing but problems with their diesels. So I'm a little worried about doing all the work and having the same problems

eti engineer
05-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, the problems with Chevy diesels started with the converted gasser 350 block and went downhill from there.

Good luck to both of you on your projects. I would love to do another project car (Last one, I put a 280Z engine in a Beemer and changed the license plates to "ZMW"), but my wife is a teacher and I barely have room in my garage for my S-10, let alone a project car. As such, I am going nuts with electronics in the house. A man has to have something...

Later..
eti engineer

dmbrisket 51
05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
thanks eti, yet, its me at moms house, so i have room, because as soon as its the wife bitching about the truck, ill be renting a storage unit for her (the wife that is) because shes crazy to think im given up my babby

Disturbed_One
05-29-2006, 11:41 AM
No prob Doug,

Wish that I could have been there to help you out in person. I'd like to do a V8 swap in a S10, although a Diesel swap is the next mod on my list.

I always thought it would be so cool to have a diesel in the S-10
I know they put that 2.2L in one of the 80's model, but its to small for me :P

dmbrisket 51
05-30-2006, 05:00 PM
ordered the headders today, thanks steve, now lets let a few more ponies lose (just what i need, ive already got a led foot award)

Add your comment to this topic!