Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Interior lights

sevenmack
05-27-2006, 11:49 PM
The interior lights in my '93 Crown Vic won't turn off. Tried closing the door several times and that hasn't worked. I've ended up removing the halogen batteries just in order to keep the battery from draining. Just wondering what I'll need to do? Thanks

ModMech
05-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I think you ment "removing the halogen bulbs", and not batteries.

The door switches are inside the door on the latch mechanisms. It is possible that one of them is stuck, but unlikely.

The lights are also switched at the headlamp switch (panel dimmer), and I have seen it more than once that the dome lights were accidentally turned on at the headlight switch.

reekor
05-29-2006, 04:58 PM
95 and earlier models have positive trigger door pins that trigger the interior lights and only use the latch mechanisms to trigger the “door ajar” lamp on digital clusters. 96 and later models with the lighting computer use the latch mechanisms to trigger the interior lights.

I think you ment "removing the halogen bulbs", and not batteries.

The door switches are inside the door on the latch mechanisms. It is possible that one of them is stuck, but unlikely.

The lights are also switched at the headlamp switch (panel dimmer), and I have seen it more than once that the dome lights were accidentally turned on at the headlight switch.

ModMech
05-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Thank you for that correction, although I do not recall seeing the jam switches on my '93, I can easily believe it's because I never looked.

94CV3000
08-26-2006, 01:30 AM
I just bought a 94 Crown Victoria and the interior lights will not go off. I tried all the door switches pushing in repeatedly - they all worked freely - to try to jar anything stuck, loose. I also worked the ring on the headlight switch back and forth. Ended up removing fuse # 4 so the battery won't run down overnight. Am taking it in to the mechanic I bought it from tomorrow. He says he never experienced the problem in 7 years. I'm thinking maybe we opened a door or flipped a switch that hadn't be used for a while and the switch got stuck. I'll post when I find the answer.

KimMG
08-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Did you use any cleaner on the door switches?

Loekee75
08-26-2006, 04:44 AM
If the latch assembly is keeping the interior light circuit closed, then 9 times out of 10 it will need to be replaced because the internal components inside the latch are worn

94CV3000
08-26-2006, 08:30 PM
:banghead: Well, I feel REALLY stupid now. Either I or my wife twisted the headlight switch to the "ON" position. The switch is quite stiff and I didn't want to break it so I didn't turn it hard enough to turn it off.
New issues now though:
1) The odometer stopped working. I know it recorded 4 miles of travel, but not the last 25 or more. It stopped working while I was on the road about 1.5 miles from my home.
2) There is a shudder that occurs at 40 MPH when I ease up to and through that speed. My mechanic says it sounds like the torque converter.

junk yard doggie
08-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I am having the same issue with the interior lights on my 96 CV. I have the fuse pulled for now to keep the bat. from going dead. My car was hit on the drivers side and I'm sure that one of those latch switches isn't working correctly. Thanks guys for confirming that my problen in in the latch. I didn't see any door jamb switches, so I was wondering where the switches were. I will need to replace both doors, so hopefully once I make that repair the interior light problem will be solved.

For the last guy in the last post. Make sure you check those u joints, cheeper than a torque converter. How many miles does the car have? What does the trans fluid look like? The tramsmission could be on it's way out as well.

Mike

94CV3000
08-27-2006, 01:31 PM
<snip>

For the last guy in the last post. Make sure you check those u joints, cheeper than a torque converter. How many miles does the car have? What does the trans fluid look like? The tramsmission could be on it's way out as well.

Mike
The guy I bought the car from thought it might be the u joints also. In a way I guess that make the most sense, the torque converter should go through the same rpm numerous times whereas the driveline only hits it once. Searched through the posts for similar problem but didn't find any, but then, who would look under Interior lights?

Not sure how many miles anymore with the odometer on the fritz. Did it go out for the first time 10 miles after I bought the car or ......

Transmission fluid smells a little burnt, going to have it serviced Monday AM.

Add your comment to this topic!