Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem with 99 Cabrio

royebrooks
05-26-2006, 06:38 PM
I have a 99 cabrio that has developed a problem that has me at a loss. Whenever I drive the car and the rpm's get over 3,000 if I let off the gas pedal and then presss it again the car dies. If I quickly let off and press it again it is fine. If I hold it down to the floor the car will slow down until it reaches around 2200 rpm's the it kicks in again. This happens in any gear and it seems to be getting worse and worse over time. I recently replaced the coil and coil wire. I NEED HELP, there are no codes, no check engine light.

royebrooks
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Well I have replaced the following without fixing the problem:

Plugs
Plug Wires
Distributer Cap
Rotor Button
Coil

Still having the same problem but it seems to be getting worse. I think it might have something to do with the Throttle position sensor but the Haynes book I have describe one on top of the gas pedal and mine doesn't look like the one if the book so not sure what to do next.

FemaleVwTech
05-27-2006, 11:21 PM
To me, it sounds like your Throttle Body is going bad. There is a couple sensors in the throttle body. One of them might be the one that the Haynes book is talking about. If you replace your Throttle Body, you are going to need to find someone who can reset the baics setting. If you don't the car will run the same way.

veedubmechanic
05-29-2006, 08:52 PM
take a look at your MAF sensor, its right after the airbox on the intake pipe.

Take it out and clean it with throttle body cleaner, also clean off your throttle body with the cleaner also.

see how it runs after that!

svw99
05-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Any ideas on how much a Throttle Body costs?
Thanks for your replies!!

FemaleVwTech
05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Any ideas on how much a Throttle Body costs?
Thanks for your replies!!
I think it is $300 or more.

99cabrio
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
just had to replace my throttle body 3 months ago and it cost $1000 altogether at a dealer. not cheap

Add your comment to this topic!