Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny Fluid

limewire
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Well today I went to get my tranny fluid changed in my 2002 Jimmy. The mechanic pointed out that the fluid had obvious signs that the fluid had been burning and recommened a soft rebuild.
What causes fluid to burn and since I haven't experieced any problems should I just ride it out or get this "soft rebuild" done asap. Thanks...

blazes9395
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Soft rebuild....? What exactly are his reasons for a rebuild? Does the tranny slip, shift bad, throwing codes or anything? If its working alright, I would not do anything at this point. The new fluid will be the tell-tale sign if this tranny needs a rebuild. If it starts giving you trouble after the fluid change, you probably need it rebuilt, but if its alright, drive it. Whats the milage on the truck/tranny?

CanukGMC
05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't do anything unless the tranny has been giving you issues. Depending on the parts cost, usually the biggest price in a tranny rebuild is the labor involved in removing it from the truck and then replacing it, so why bother paying a ton of labor to do a "soft rebuild" (whatever he means by that) if nothing is wrong. Run the new fluid, check it at the next oil change, and repeat until you feel comfortable.

If it doesn't feel broke why fix it. Burned fluid could just be very old fluid, maybe no one changed it out since 2002.

excheezhead
05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't do anything unless the tranny has been giving you issues. Depending on the parts cost, usually the biggest price in a tranny rebuild is the labor involved in removing it from the truck and then replacing it, so why bother paying a ton of labor to do a "soft rebuild" (whatever he means by that) if nothing is wrong. Run the new fluid, check it at the next oil change, and repeat until you feel comfortable.

If it doesn't feel broke why fix it. Burned fluid could just be very old fluid, maybe no one changed it out since 2002.

trans fluid can also wear out if you live in the southern lower 48, like socal, texas, florida, from the heat/humidity and stop and go traffic in larger cities. check your owners manual under maintenanceand it gives you 2-3 options on you average driving habits, which will tell you which cycle to change things, as here in snowbird land(FLA) we cut the fluid changes in half, if the bok says 30,000mi, we do it at 15,000, cause its 96 deg f, and we sit in traffic for an average of 3/4 to 1 hour to go 25 miles. so if the tranny fluid is brown or brown with a reddish tint, and smells like hot burnt oil, but does not feel gritty inbetween your finger and thumb, just change fliud AND filter and check every other gas fill-up untill you feel confident it is running o.k.. and just like other said, check codes and if it feels different, shifts change different, etc, then get it checked by a mechanic that does not use buzz words like "soft rebuild" which i have never heard come from a good mechanic before in 39 years of driving and fixing my own cars. i have a 2001 with the 4l60e.

Moser97
06-02-2006, 12:47 AM
I would be very wary of this guy. He puts me in mind of some of the guys you see at national name brand auto centers. If they get their hands on your car you can bet they will find something they say you need. They always try to sell you more than you came to buy. The other responders have given you very good advice. Tell him to change what he can, with the filter. Drive it a couple of tanks of gas, then go to Jiffy Lube and get the fluid swapped out again. If your Jiffy Lube still does the fluid exchange with filter just go there first. Our Jiffy Lube won't do the service with the filter change any more. Drive it for about 50,000 miles, or until it breaks, before you worry about it again. This is a classic example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Bonneville in my signature with 180k miles has had 3 filter changes and 3 fluid exchanges in the 13 years we have been driving it. If we still have it for 200k it will get another of each. It has what is essentially the same trans as our Jimmys.

Add your comment to this topic!