vintage aston....

sinfestboy
07-27-2002, 12:03 AM
I've recently became a fan of aston martins, both vintage and new, and I'm seriously considering buying an old aston.

one problem.

I know nothing about them.

I know nothing about old cars, much less old british cars.

so here are my questions:

What is the aston that james bond drives in Goldeneye?

What astons can I afford with a 10-13k budget?

I live in st. louis...... Am I gonna be able to drive my car in the winter with salt on the road?

what should I look for when looking for my car?

were the old astons hand made like the new ones are?

* NOTE - I'm willing to fo some MINOR restoration work, but not to much....

atticusfinch
07-10-2004, 09:37 AM
What is the aston that james bond drives in Goldeneye?
Aston Martin DB5

What astons can I afford with a 10-13k budget?
None. I would guess the minimum amount needed for a driveable DBS (cheapest model) would be $40,000 USD.

I live in st. louis...... Am I gonna be able to drive my car in the winter with salt on the road?
Absolutely not.

what should I look for when looking for my car?
Hire an expert to inspect the car. Buying an Aston without expert help would be extremely foolish.

were the old astons hand made like the new ones are?
All Astons were hand made until the V8 ceased production in 2000. Some consider the new models to be hand made as well but the panels are not beaten by hand if that's what you are asking about.

AMDBMan
08-20-2004, 07:49 PM
As far as "minor restoration," HA. There's no such thing, especially with vintage Astons. You will usually find that the all original examples that are inexpensive are hunks of junk. You will find that the pristine condition examples are a fortune, and you wouldn't want to drive yours. You will also find that the ones only needing "minor restoration" are usually all original cars with low mileage. Those are sometimes worth more than the fully restored examples. I'd say look for a DBS or V8 Vantage

Add your comment to this topic!