Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil on spark plug wires

johns97328i
05-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Just bought a 93 Accord with 160,000 miles last week. Today I pulled a spark plug wire off one of the sparkplugs in the engine and found a sizable amount of oil on the end of wire. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm thinking the valve cover gasket is bad. I'm looking for any kind of help.
Thanks,
John

somick
05-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I just have posted a reply in Just get technical section. Look there.

Sam

pimprolla112
05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Just get a valve cover gasket kit, you get the grommets for the top, the VC gasket and the spark plug gaskets this is whats causing your problem your either missing one or one went bad. Its easy to replace.

vicchang
05-26-2006, 11:05 AM
It has nothing to do with the head gasket. It's caused by possibly 2 things

1. Plug tube seals under the valve cover. Easy to replace.

2. Plug tube seals under the rocker arm assembly. You need to take the whole assembly off and need to adjust the valve clearance. More difficult then the ones under the valve cover.

Bottom line, oil leaking into the plug tubes is not a big deal. Unless it's way too serious, don't worry too much about it.

pimprolla112
05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
No one has said head gasket, the valve cover gasket is completely different. And as far as iv seen there are no tube gaskets under the rockers, just the ones for the tube that sit right below the valve cover.

And it can become a big deal over time, you will get a worse connection to the spark plug with oil around the plug wire, and this can cause misfire, or even the loss of the spark plug in that cylinder. My old corolla had this problem. Maybe a 20 min repair.

AccordCodger
05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
By the way, it's pretty common problem with (at least) that year.

ProMan
05-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Vic is right.

There ARE another set of oil seals under the rocker arm assembly. My Accord had that problem for about 4 years. I replaced the set under the valve cover, but still got oil leaking. I finally found out those seals under the rocker arm when I needed to do some repair and took the assembly off. Problem fixed!

Basically the oil leaking into the tube should NOT cause any spark plug problem. The plug and wire has direct contact, so the oil won't be able to interfere. My car had this problem for 4 years, never had any problem due to this leaking. But I suggest get that fixed anyway. It probably will take more than 20 minutes to just replace those.

Add your comment to this topic!