Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 wrangler brake problem from hell

jeep-ape
05-25-2006, 02:05 PM
i have a 1995 wrangler Rio Grande. the other day me and my wife were driving the jeep and smelled something burning on the right front tire. after inspecting it i realized it was the rotor heating up, due to the caliber not fully releasing. i went down and got a new caliber and replaced it. bled the brakes several times and never got any pedal. i got aggravated and bought a new master cylinder. i bench bled it and bled each wheel several times, still no pedal to speak of. i then decided to take it to the local tire shop. they have replaced the master cylinder 3 times and still cant get any decent pedal on the brakes. this has everybody completely whipped. even a guy who worked for Jeep for 30 years cant figure it out. i hate to give up on it because i really enjoy driving it this time of year, but i dont know what else to do. any ideas form anybody with a similar problem would be helpful. thanks in advance.:naughty:

corning_d3
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Have you tried bleeding the system using a vacuum pump?

jeep-ape
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
i did not have a vaccum pump. i will ask the guys at the tire dealership if they tried that. could it be air trapped in the modulator? it had good brakes before.

neon_rt
05-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Does it have ABS, maybe there is a problem with it?

jeep-ape
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
i dont believe it has abs. how do you tell. it doesnt have the sensors on the calibers.

seb001
05-26-2006, 06:32 AM
To make sure we get this right:
1st the brake would not release
You replace some parts
2nd the brake does not engage

Are you able to squeeze the caliper using a C-clamp?
Are you able to close the caliper using compressed air or a source of hydraulic oil?
Basically, does it freely move?
If you attach a bleed line to the caliper and open the bleed port, can you see fluid come out when you press the pedal? I think that al least 2 or 3 inches should come out (Might be more like 6")

Seb

Add your comment to this topic!