Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trunk lock problem

katiebeth827
05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
I have a 99 Alero GLS (92k miles) and the trunk release doesnt work, I thought maybe I pressed a button when cleaning the car but cant figure out how to get it working again. I can only get it open by using the key, the release button on the fob and the release button on the drivers door doesnt do anything. Does anyone know how to fix this?

JTrujillo86
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
If you open the trunk and look under where the hatch latches, you'll see a red switch that says 'ON--OFF'. Make sure the red part is pushed to the 'OFF' side. This is a valet lock-out feature. It makes it so the trunk can only be opened by the key.

See if that fixes your problem.

- Jeremy

katiebeth827
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
ok, well I tried the valet trunk lock out thingamajigger and discovered that yes the red switch had been snapped off somehow, but after using a flathead screwdriver was able to make sure that it was moved over all the way to the right. After I made sure that that part was fine, I thought maybe it was a fuse or relay so I tested all of those. I still can't get it to work. Any other ideas? Thanks so much!

JTrujillo86
05-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Maybe the solenoid is bad...I'm not sure how to fix it though. Maybe BNaylor3400 can help you out. He's knowledgable with stuff like this.

- Jeremy

vamc
05-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Very true he is.He would know a little more then me on this one.

BNaylor
05-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeremy and Andrew.

The circuit is not that difficult to troubleshoot. Two possibilities would be the trunk release solenoid as mentioned and the release relay. The relay is located at the driver's side fuse box. When you press the release button on the door listen carefully for a relay clicking sound at the left hand side of the dashboard. If the relay is clicking then you would go to the rear and check the trunk release solenoid. If the relay is not clicking then it is not energizing due to a lack of 12 volts or a ground. The switch on the driver's door supplies 12 volts direct to the relay whereas when using the trunk release button the the RKE remote goes through the body control module (BCM).

To check the trunk release solenoid you have remove the electrical connector and check for 12 volts with a test light or multimeter when pressing either release button at the door or on the remote. The electrical connector is located at the right taillight assembly and not at the solenoid. The wiring at the solenoid is sealed so just follow the wiring harness over to the right. If 12 volts is present at this connector then there is a high probability that the trunk release solenoid is bad or the wiring leading up to it. If not present but the relay clicks then it is a wiring problem somewheres from the front to rear of the vehicle. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!