Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Back Door Lock buzzing

mustardstain
05-24-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a quick question about my back door lock. When I unlock or lock my doors using my power door lock switch from my keychain I hear a sort of buzzing sound from the door. Half the time it does this and doesn't lock and half the time it is fine. Could my Power door lock be going out? Any ideas what I should do and how much it may cost. 99 jeep cherokee
Thanks

dave92cherokee
05-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Does it ever act up if you use the power door lock and unlock that's inside the car on the door or just with the remote?

fredjacksonsan
05-24-2006, 07:40 AM
I've got a 2000 Grand Cherokee with the same symptom. It started as a buzz and intermittent function to not working at all and squawking like a goose. I believe it's a stripped out gear in the actuator for the locking..... time to open up the door and do a replacement!

AlohaBra
05-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I have same problem, but I am too lazy to fix it. Power door locks have to be in sync, sometimes they get "sticky", the mechanism need lubricating; that is the the mechanical linkage is sticking. It also means you have to remove the door panel to lubricate the mechanism. Best to do all four and even the tail gate.

I use to work in a dealer where we had to do that all the time.

I get around it by cycling it, that is do a lock and then unlock and then a lock from the remote.
However, as fred says if it is stripped, you got to get in there anyhow, so start by removing the door panel.
Let us know how that goes.

mustardstain
05-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. As soon as I get some time I will see what I can do! Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!